Solve KVL: Find V1, V2 Using Voltage Divider Rule

• Thread starter orangeincup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kvl
In summary, the problem involves using the voltage divider rule and KVL to find the values of V1 and V2. The 16V source is sending voltage to the first resistor, resulting in a voltage drop of 8V. However, the exact amount of current flowing through this resistor cannot be determined without knowing the value of R. To find V2, the 16V source and R can be ignored and the potential divider rule can be applied to the remaining resistors, resulting in a value of 4.57V for V2.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

Use voltage divider rule and KVL to find V1 and V2

Homework Equations

KVL, v1+v2+..=0
V0*r1/(r2+r1)=V

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know how to use the voltage divider rule, my question is about the KVL of the loop below.

I'm wondering about the 8 V source inside of the smaller loop, is the result of the voltage drop across the resistors, or if it's another voltage source entirely? Can someone explain in plain English what is happening as the voltage goes across each resistor? Here is what I think happens:
As far as I know the 16 V source is sending voltage / current to the first resistor, which causes a voltage drop of 8 V. The 8 V is then sent to the other 3 remaining resistors, which have a voltage drop of 4.57 V.

Attachments

• kvl.jpg
    kvl.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm wondering about the 8 V source inside of the smaller loop, is the result of the voltage drop across the resistors, or if it's another voltage source entirely?

I agree that it is not clear but it doesn't matter for this problem. It doesn't matter if the thing on the right is an 8V source or just a voltmeter indicating 8V. Either way node d is at 8V w.r.t nodes b/c.

As far as I know the 16 V source is sending voltage / current to the first resistor, which causes a voltage drop of 8 V.

That's not the way I would describe it. It begs the question... How does the 16V source "know" how much current to send to produce an 8V drop across R?

I would look at it like this...

Node a is at 16V w.r.t nodes b/c.
Node d is at 8V w.r.t node b/c.
Applying KVL to the loop a->d->b/c->a shows that the voltage drop across R (eg V1) must be 8V.

Just for info.. The current that flows from the 16V source through R is unknown because R is unknown. There is no way to calculate it from the info given.

Then for V2...

Node d is at 8V w.r.t node b/c regardless of how much current is flowing from the 16V source. So you can ignore/delete the 16V source and R from the drawing for this step. Just apply the potential divider rule to the 1,2 and 4 ohm resistor as if the thing on the right was an 8V source. Your answer V2 = 4.57V is correct.

Likes 1 person

1. What is KVL and why is it important in circuit analysis?

KVL stands for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. It is important in circuit analysis because it allows us to determine the voltage drops and currents in a circuit, which helps us understand the behavior of the circuit.

2. How do you apply the Voltage Divider Rule to solve for V1 and V2?

The Voltage Divider Rule states that the voltage across a resistor in a series circuit is proportional to the ratio of that resistor's value to the total resistance of the circuit. To solve for V1 and V2 using this rule, we first calculate the total resistance of the circuit, then use the ratio to find the voltage drops across each resistor.

3. Can the Voltage Divider Rule be applied to any circuit?

The Voltage Divider Rule can only be applied to series circuits, where the resistors are connected in a single path. It cannot be applied to parallel circuits, where the resistors are connected in multiple paths.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Voltage Divider Rule?

The Voltage Divider Rule assumes that there is no current flowing through the voltage source in the circuit. If there is significant current flowing through the voltage source, the rule may not provide accurate results.

5. How does changing the values of the resistors affect the voltage drops in a circuit?

Changing the values of the resistors in a circuit will change the ratio of the resistors to the total resistance, and therefore will change the voltage drops across each resistor. If a resistor with a larger value is added, it will have a larger voltage drop across it. Similarly, if a resistor with a smaller value is added, it will have a smaller voltage drop across it.