Lab Practicum with a Spring

In summary, the purpose of the lab is to find the height needed to drop a 1kg mass on a long spring (approx 3 meters) to touch the top of an egg without cracking it. The formulas used are F=kx and E=1/2kx^2, and the spring constant was calculated to be 3.78N/m. To solve the problem, one must know the energy needed to be supplied by the spring, which can be determined by knowing the height the weight needs to be dropped from. This can be found by taking different measurements and recording the displacements of the spring. An error range should also be determined.
marc16250
The purpose the lab is to get a 1kg mass on a long spring (approx 3meters) to touch, without cracking, the top of an egg. To do this, we need to solve for the height needed to drop weight from.

I'm not sure how to solve the problem and I have been using the following formulas:
F=kx
E=1/2kx^2

So far, I have calculated the spring constant by using different masses and recording the change in distance. I got K= 3.78N/m. I have measured the height from the top of the spring to the top of the egg, and i measured the height from the bottom of the weight to the top of the egg. Now, I am not sure how to go about solving the problem.

Can anyone give me a hint, or solve the problem?

*I attached a sketch of the situation (note that all measurements are to the top of the egg and not the floor)

Attachments

• spring lab practicum.bmp
    296.3 KB · Views: 949
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If you have derived your k for the spring, then you know how much energy the spring can absorb. So isn't it simply a matter of knowing how much below the point that the weight hangs that it has to go? Knowing that gives you the energy which you can supply by dropping the weight from a height above the rest point.

m*g*h = 1/2*k*x2

that makes sense...thanks

I have a similar lab practicum. Basically there is a certain mass on a spring and we need to find the height it must be dropped from.

I don't know what heights I should use. I also don't understand how to find the spring constant. Can someone please help me?

EDIT: I have not posted any work because we have not received any information on this lab. So tommorow we are actually going to do the lab, but I am preparing how to do it. So I just want to know how one would solve this kind of problem. Like what measurements should I take and what steps should I follow. Thanks.

The method described in the OP for determining k is ok. Simply employ different static weights and note the displacements. That should provide you with enough points to determine the extension per force across your range of interest. That would be your key unknown that needs determining. (Be sure and develop an error range for what you determine.)

What is a lab practicum with a spring?

A lab practicum with a spring is a hands-on experiment or test conducted in a laboratory setting that involves the use of a spring as part of the procedure.

What types of experiments can be done with a spring in a lab practicum?

There are a variety of experiments that can be done with a spring in a lab practicum, including studying the relationship between force and displacement, determining the spring constant, and investigating the effects of different factors on the behavior of a spring.

What are the benefits of using a spring in a lab practicum?

Using a spring in a lab practicum allows for the application of concepts such as Hooke's Law and simple harmonic motion, which are important in the study of physics and engineering. It also provides a hands-on way for students to understand these concepts and develop critical thinking skills.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with a spring in a lab practicum?

It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses, when working with a spring in a lab practicum. Care should also be taken to not stretch the spring beyond its elastic limit, as this can cause it to break and potentially cause injury.

How can I make sure my lab practicum with a spring is accurate and reliable?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and take precise measurements. It is also helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times to reduce the chances of errors or outliers. Additionally, using high-quality equipment and properly calibrating it can help ensure accurate results.