Ladder leaning against the wall, that we dont want to fall down

• Thread starter hellbike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Wall
In summary, the problem is to determine the minimal angle between a ladder leaning against a wall and the ground, in which the ladder will not fall down. There are two sources of friction, one between the ladder and the wall and the other between the ladder and the ground. The solution requires considering both force balance and moments.
hellbike
problem:

ladder is leaning against the wall.

There is friction between ladder and wall - f1

and there is friction between ladder and ground - f2

what is the minimal angle between ladder and ground that ladder doesn't fall down.
I though it's easy, but then i realized it's not only about force - it's also about "circle motion" (you know what i mean). I don't know hot to solve it.tell me if my description itn's clear so i'll make picture.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hellbike! :wink:

You need to very carefully give names to the horizontal and vertical components of all the forces, and then balance the horizontal and vertical components (separately), and also take moments about some suitable point. :smile:

I understand the problem you are facing. The minimal angle between the ladder and the ground that will prevent it from falling down is not just determined by the forces acting on the ladder, but also by the concept of "circle motion" or rotational stability. This means that in addition to considering the forces of friction between the ladder and the wall and the ground, we also need to consider the distribution of weight and the center of gravity of the ladder.

To solve this problem, we would need to use principles of physics such as torque, center of gravity, and rotational equilibrium. We would also need to take into account the material and weight of the ladder, as well as the surface it is leaning against.

If you would like a visual representation of this problem, I would be happy to create a diagram for you. However, the solution would require a more in-depth analysis and calculation using the principles mentioned above. I hope this explanation helps clarify the complexity of the problem and the need for a more thorough approach to finding the minimal angle between the ladder and the ground to prevent it from falling down.

1. How can we prevent the ladder from falling down?

The best way to prevent a ladder from falling down is to make sure it is properly secured at the base. This can be done by using a ladder stabilizer or placing the feet of the ladder against a solid object. Additionally, always make sure the ladder is on a level surface and never lean it against a wall or surface that is not strong enough to support its weight.

2. What is the safest angle for a ladder to lean against a wall?

The safest angle for a ladder to lean against a wall is at a 75.5 degree angle. This angle provides a good balance between stability and ease of climbing. Leaning the ladder at a steeper angle can increase the risk of it tipping over, while a shallower angle may make it difficult to climb.

3. How can we ensure the ladder is secure at the top?

To ensure the ladder is secure at the top, you can use ladder hooks or tie the ladder to a secure object, such as a tree or pole. It is important to make sure the top of the ladder is resting on a solid surface and not on a slick or uneven surface that could cause it to slip.

4. Is it safe to use a ladder on uneven ground?

No, it is not safe to use a ladder on uneven ground. Uneven ground can cause the ladder to become unstable and increase the risk of it falling over. It is important to always make sure the ladder is on a level surface before using it.

5. What should we do if the ladder starts to wobble?

If the ladder starts to wobble, stop using it immediately. Check to make sure it is properly secured at the base and top, and adjust as needed. If the ladder continues to wobble, it is best to find a more stable location or use a different ladder. Do not continue using a wobbly ladder as it can be very dangerous.