Solve Ladder Problem: 4 Equations, 5 Unknowns

• Thread starter Michael94
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a uniform ladder leaning at 60 degrees against a smooth wall. The ladder has a length of 10 feet and weighs 60 pounds. The equations provided are Fx = 0 = F + H = 0, Fy = 0 = V + N - 60# = 0, L about ladder center of gravity = 0 = V*sin60*5' + H*cos60*5' - N*sin60*5 + F*cos60*5' = 0, and the friction coefficient is equal to F/N. There are 4 equations and 5 unknowns (F, N, H, V, and the friction coefficient). The missing equation needed to find the results
Michael94

Homework Statement

Uniform ladder leaning 60 degrees from the ground against smooth wall (ladder: length 10' weight 60#). Vertical thrust by ground ? Horizontal Push by wall ? Coeff. of friction between ladder and ground ?

Homework Equations

Fx = 0 = F + H = 0
Fy = 0 = V + N - 60# = 0
L about ladder center of gravity = 0 = V*sin60*5' + H*cos60*5' - N*sin60*5 + F*cos60*5' = 0
Friction Coefficient = F/N
I have 4 equations and 5 unknowns. What am I missing in order to find the results ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Michael! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Michael94 said:
I have 4 equations and 5 unknowns.

ah, but your V and your N are the same :wink:

I don't understand why V = N. Sum of the forces in the vertical direction w/ origin @ ladder center of gravity V + N = 60#, right ?

Michael94 said:
I don't understand why V = N.

V and N are your names …

what are they supposed to be?

If V is the vertical force on the ladder from the ground, and if N is the normal force, they're just different names for the same thing, aren't they? :confused:

I attached the ladder illustration here, maybe you are able to make better sense of the problem.

Attachments

• LadderLoad.jpg
    LadderLoad.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 411
It is a smooth wall, so V = 0. So you only have 3 unknowns (F, N, H) and 3 equations

If wall is not smooth then you need another equation that involves the elastical behavior of the ladder.

Hi Michael! :smile:

Yes, venkatg :smile: is right … your V = 0.

(which is why it never occurred to me that your V was at the top of the ladder :wink:)

Moral: read every word of the given question carefully (and write your own question carefully!)

What is the "Ladder Problem" and why is it important?

The Ladder Problem is a mathematical problem that involves solving four equations with five unknown variables. It is important because it requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for any scientist.

What are the four equations in the Ladder Problem?

The four equations in the Ladder Problem are typically the Pythagorean theorem, the equation for the sum of the angles in a triangle, and two equations representing the length and angle of the ladder.

What are the five unknown variables in the Ladder Problem?

The five unknown variables in the Ladder Problem are typically the length of the ladder, the distance of the foot of the ladder from the building, the height of the building, and the two angles between the ladder, building, and ground.

What is the process for solving the Ladder Problem?

The process for solving the Ladder Problem involves setting up and solving the four equations simultaneously to find the values of the five unknown variables. This may require using algebra, trigonometry, and other mathematical principles.

What are some real-world applications of the Ladder Problem?

The Ladder Problem has many real-world applications, such as determining the optimal length of a ladder for reaching a specific height, calculating the angle and distance needed for a ladder to safely lean against a building, and measuring the height of a tall building or tree using a ladder.