Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lagrange Multiplier Help

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

L = - [itex]\Sigma[/itex] x,y (P(x,y) log P(x,y)) + [tex]\lambda[/tex] [itex]\Sigma[/itex]y (P(x,y) - q(x))

This is the Lagrangian. I need to maximize the first term in the sum with respect to P(x,y), subject to the constraint in the second term.

The first term is a sum over all possible values of x,y.

The second term is a sum over all possible values of ONLY y.

2. Relevant equations

Given above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I have to differentiate L with respect to P(x',y') where x',y' are fixed values.

The idea is that the first term consists of a sum of P(x,y) over all possible x,y. So, we just need to differentiate L with respect to P(x',y') while keeping all other P(x,y) constant.

But how do I differentiate the second term with respect to P(x',y')? It is a sum over all possible y values.

I know the solution is supposed to be [tex]\lambda[/tex] when the second term is differentiated with respect to a particular P(x',y') but how do we obtain that?

THANKS! :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you want to solve [itex] \max \sum_{x,y} P(x,y) \log P(x,y)[/itex], subject to [itex] \sum_{y} P(x,y) = q(x) [/itex] for all x? That is very different from what you wrote; the correct Lagrangian would be [itex]\sum_{x,y} P(x,y) \log P(x,y) + \sum_{x} \lambda_{x} [\sum_{y} P(x,y) - q(x)] [/itex]. Remember: in this problem the variables are P(x,y); the x and y themselves are just summation indices. (Probably that would be a lot clearer if we wrote [itex] \sum_{i,j} P(i,j) \log P(i,j)[/itex], etc.) So: for any fixed (x,y), [itex] dL/dP(x,y) = \log P(x,y) + 1 + \lambda_{x}. [/itex]

RGV

4. Jul 7, 2011 #3
    Yes thanks!

There is something else I don't get...

Page 10 of this lecture notes: http://pillowlab.cps.utexas.edu/teaching/CompNeuro10/slides/slides16_EntropyMethods.pdf [Broken]

Says we should get the solution as P(x,y) = P(x) P(y). I have no idea how to get this.

Furthermore, they seem to have [tex] dL/dP(x,y) = \log P(x,y) + 1 + \Sigma \lambda_{x} Px(x) [/tex]. , which I think makes sense because the optimal P(x,y) should take into account the constraints?

The notes are for integrals but I am assuming it works for summations?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Jul 7, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The formula P(x,y) = f(x)*f(y) (not P(x)*P(y) ) only works if f(x) = q(x) [assuming sum_{y} f(y) = 1]

6. Jul 7, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The results on page 10 are for a different probl than the one you posed in this Forum. Your posed problem has the solution P(x,y) = q(x)/N for all y, where N = number of y-values [assuming a discrete problem]. This follows from the Lagrange condition
    log P(x,y) + 1 + lambda_x = 0 for all (x,y). That is, the distribution is uniform over y. The problem on page 10 of your link is:
    max -sum_{x,y} P(x,y) log P(x,y), subject to sum_{y} P(x,y) = r(x) for all x, and sum_{x} P(x,y) = s(y) for all y. In this case the Lagrange method gives P(x,y) = r(x)*s(y) for all x and y.

7. Jul 7, 2011 #6
    No, I meant to ask you about the problem on page 10. Your original reply solved my original problem.

To make it more precise:

Ignore everything that I have asked so far. The new problem is...

max - [itex]\Sigma[/itex]x,y P(x,y) log P(x,y), subject to [itex]\Sigma[/itex]y P(x,y) = r(x) for all x, and [itex]\Sigma[/itex]x P(x,y) = s(y) for all y.

Why isn't dL/dP(x,y) = 1 + log P(x,y) + 1 + [itex]\Sigma[/itex]i[itex]\lambda[/itex] {xi} +[itex]\Sigma[/itex]i[itex]\lambda[/itex] {yi}?

Since the constraint look like:

[itex]\lambda[/itex]xi[itex]\Sigma[/itex]y [ P(xi,y) - r(xi) ] in the lagrangian.

Shouldn't d / dP(x,y) of this be just [itex]\lambda[/itex]x?

Thanks Ray, you're of great help! :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  8. Jul 7, 2011 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]L = -\sum_{x,y} P(x,y) \log P(x,y) + \sum_{x} \lambda_x (\sum_{y} P(x,y) - r(x)) + \sum_{y} \mu_y (\sum_{x} P(x,y) - s(y))[/tex]
    [tex] \displaystyle \frac{dL}{dP{x,y)} = -1 - \log P(x,y) + \lambda_x + \mu_y = 0[/tex]
    Thus, [itex] P(x,y) = \exp(-1+\lambda_x + \mu_y)[/itex], so [itex]r(x) = \exp(-1 + \lambda_x) \sum_{y} \exp(\mu_y)[/itex], which means that [itex]\exp(\lambda_x) = c_1 r(x)[/itex], where [itex] c_1 = \exp(1) / \sum_{y} \exp(\mu_y) [/itex] is a constant, and similarly, the equation [itex] \sum_{x} P(x,y) = s(y) [/itex] leads to [itex] \exp(\mu_y) = c_2 s(y) [/itex] for a constant c_2. Altogether we get [itex] P(x,y) = c_1 c_2 \exp(-1) r(x) s(y) = c r(x) s(y)[/itex], where c is a constant. Normalizing gives c = 1.

RGV

9. Jul 8, 2011 #8
    Nice! Thanks a lot for the help!

Problem resolved. :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook