Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem

In summary, we discussed the problem of finding the Lagrangian, L, in a two-body solution (Kepler Problem) where the position vector is given by x = (v_x * t + x_0, v_y * t + y_0, v_z * t + z_0). The Lagrangian can be found by using the Euler-Lagrange equation and is given by \mathscr{L} = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}+ r \dot{\theta})^{2} - U(r), where U(r) is the potential GMm/r. By setting \frac{\partial \mathscr{L}}{\partial \theta} =
Philosophaie
In a two-body solution ( Kepler Problem) how do you find the Lagrangian, L, if the position vector is:

[tex]x = (v_x * t + x_0, v_y * t + y_0, v_z * t + z_0)[/tex]

Action from Wikipedia is:

[tex]S = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} L * dt [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Philosophaie said:
In a two-body solution ( Kepler Problem) how do you find the Lagrangian, L, if the position vector is:

[tex]x = (v_x * t + x_0, v_y * t + y_0, v_z * t + z_0)[/tex]
That is certainly not true for all t, as this would mean linear motion (no acceleration).

The Lagrangian can be found similar to all other Lagrangians for a particle moving in a potential, the potential is GMm/r where ##r=|x|##.

If the central mass is large enough, the Lagrangian is

$$\mathscr{L} = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}+ r \dot{\theta})^{2} - U(r)$$

Plugging it into the Euler-Lagrange equation:

$$\frac{\partial \mathscr{L}}{\partial q} = \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial \mathscr{L}}{\partial \dot{q}}$$

For the radial component, we have ##m \ddot{r} = mr \dot{\theta}^{2}-U'(r)##. The ##\theta## component gives us ##0##, because ##\frac{\partial \mathscr{L}}{\partial \theta} = 0 = \frac{d}{dt}(mr^2 \dot{\theta})##, we can call ##mr^2 \dot{\theta} = L##

At this point, you can pretty much solve the equations of motion with respect to time to get the position.

I hope that wasn't too convoluted of an answer.

Edit: Here's a link you might be interested in reading: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01sc-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-2010/central-force-motion/central-force-motion-and-the-kepler-problem/MIT8_01SC_coursenotes28.pdf

Last edited:
I found a solution for Classical Mechanics

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=kepler+problem

The Kinetic Energy came out to be [tex]\frac {1}{2} (\frac{dx}{dt})^2[/tex]
The Potential Energy came out to be [tex]\frac {\lambda}{\frac {dx}{dt}}[/tex]

Not sure what lambda is. Can someone explain?

Philosophaie said:

None of that is correct. First, Kepler's problem is usually set in at least 2 dimensions. Second, the potential energy does not depend on velocity; it depends on displacement.

Last edited:
Philosophaie said:

I've got no idea what you're doing.

Look, the Lagrangian IS the kinetic minus the potential. ##\mathscr{L} = KE - U##

In the Kepler Problem, where ##M >> m## $$\mathscr{L} = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}+ r \dot{\theta})^{2} - \frac{GMm}{r}$$

As Voko says, this can be reduced to a one dimensional problem by playing noting that ---->

$$\frac{\partial \mathscr{L}}{\partial \theta} = 0 = \frac{d}{dt}(mr^2 \dot{\theta})$$ where we can set ##mr^2 \dot{\theta} = L## and play with the equations from here.

What EXACTLY are you trying to figure out? State your question CLEARLY, because I don't have a clue what you're asking for.

The potential is spherically symmetric and thus angular momentum is conserved. The trajectory of the planet thus is in a plane perpendicular to the angular momentum and thus in a plane.

The kinetic energy is
[tex]T=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2.[/tex]
Using polar coordinates in the plane perpendicular to angular momentum
[tex]\vec{x}=r \begin{pmatrix} \cos \varphi \\ \sin \varphi \end{pmatrix}, [/tex]
you get
[tex]T=\frac{m}{2} (\dot{r}^2+ r^2 \dot{\varphi}^2).[/tex]
The Lagrangian thus is
[tex]L=T-V=\frac{m}{2} (\dot{r}^2+ r^2 \dot{\varphi}^2 )+ \frac{G mM}{r}.[/tex]
Now you see that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is cyclic and thus
[tex]J=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\varphi}}=m r^2 \dot{\varphi}=\text{const}.[/tex]
This is the conservation of angular momentum in this special frame of reference.

Rewriting the equation of motion for [itex]r[/itex] using this first integral as a function of [itex]\varphi[/itex] and doing the substitution [itex]s=1/r[/itex] you get an easy to solve differential equation, leading to ellipses, parabolas, or hyperbolas as trajectories.

The case [itex]J=0[/itex] has to be discussed separately.

Thanx

Last edited:

What is the Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem?

The Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a particle under the influence of a central force, such as gravity. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the particle, and is a key component in solving the equations of motion for the system.

What is the significance of the Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem?

The Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem allows us to analyze the motion of a particle under a central force and determine key properties such as the shape and orientation of its orbit, its speed and position at any given time, and the period of its orbit. It also provides a more elegant and efficient method for solving the equations of motion compared to traditional methods.

What are the equations of motion derived from the Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem?

The equations of motion derived from the Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem are the Lagrange's equations, which describe the evolution of the position and velocity of the particle as a function of time. In particular, the radial and angular equations of motion can be used to determine the shape and orientation of the particle's orbit.

How is the Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem related to Kepler's laws?

The Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem is closely related to Kepler's laws of planetary motion. In fact, by using the Lagrangian, we can derive Kepler's laws as consequences of the equations of motion. This provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles behind Kepler's laws.

Can the Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem be applied to other systems besides celestial bodies?

Yes, the Lagrangian for the Kepler Problem can be applied to any system that exhibits central force motion, such as charged particles in an electric field or molecules in a chemical reaction. It is a versatile tool in analyzing and understanding the dynamics of various physical systems.