1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian Mechanics, bead on a hoop

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is the problem:
    http://i.imgur.com/OJyzfhz.png?1

2. Relevant equations

$$\frac{dL}{dq_i}-\frac{d}{dt}\frac{dL}{d\dot{q_i}}=0$$
    $$ L=\frac{1}{2}mv^2-U(potential energy)$$

3. The attempt at a solution

This is my attempt at question A):

http://i.imgur.com/IeJVGm3.jpg

Does this look right? If not, am I atleast in the right direction. If I am right, how do I tackle B? I have no clue how to even begin on B.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2
    Your solution of A is generally correct, but there is a sign error in it.

To find the equilibrium positions, use the main property of equilibrium: everything stays constant. That means that all the dynamical variables are constant, and their derivatives are zero.

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    Alright, thanks. I see I need a minus sign before the first term of my final answer. I'll try B with your tip!

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4
    at C, do you think they want me to do a taylor expansion around theta_equilibrium?

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5
    Yes, the idea is that you should end up with ## \ddot \theta + \omega ^2 \theta = 0 ##, where ##\omega## is to be determined from the expansion.

7. Oct 6, 2013 #6
    I actually have no idea where/how to do the expansion. Shouldn't I do it on x(theta), y(theta) and z(theta) ?

Alsol, this is how I did B):

Eq. of motion is

$$\frac{g}{R}\sin{\theta}+\ddot{\theta}-\omega^2\sin{\theta}\cos{\theta}=0$$

the 2nd derivative is zero at equilibrium so i get

$$\theta_{eq} = arccos(\frac{g}{R\omega^2})$$

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  8. Oct 6, 2013 #7
    You do it in the equation of motion you obtained.

Does it exist for all values of ##\omega##?

What about ## \sin \theta = 0 ##?

9. Oct 6, 2013 #8
    It exists for
    $$R\omega^2\geq g $$

Expansion of sine around my theta_eq??

$$\sin(\theta)=\sqrt{1-(\frac{g}{R\omega^2})^2}+\frac{g}{R\omega^2}\cdot (\theta -\arccos(\frac{g}{R\omega^2})-0.5\sqrt{1-(\frac{g}{R\omega^2})^2}\cdot (\theta -\arccos(\frac{g}{R\omega^2})^2+.. $$

I'm not really sure about what you meant with ''what about sin(theta)=0 ?'' . Sorry

10. Oct 6, 2013 #9
    My question was whether ## \sin \theta = 0 ## also gives equilibrium points.

Your expansion is correct, but you do not need terms that are above linear in ##\theta##.

11. Oct 6, 2013 #10
    Oh, ofcourse! I forgot sin(theta). theta = 0 is an equilibrium point too.(well and pi but I guess that's not very reasonable here)

So I just have to expand sin(theta)cos(theta) now and then write it out?

12. Oct 6, 2013 #11
    Also, how do you type in tex inside your normal sentences? The way I do it ([ tex] [/ tex]) , my text comes on a new line.

13. Oct 6, 2013 #12

BruceW

Homework Helper

you can use itex instead. (sorry for jumping in on this thread). Don't be too quick to dismiss theta=Pi. What do questions b) and c) actually ask you for?

14. Oct 6, 2013 #13
    Do not guess. Your task is to find out whether ##\theta = \pi ## is a stable equilibrium.

Yes - about each equilibrium. Note that in all cases except ## \theta_{e} = 0 ##, you will have to change your variable to ## \theta^* = \theta - \theta_{e} ##, so that the resultant equation have the canonical form ##\ddot {\theta ^*} + k^2 \theta ^* = 0 ##.

15. Oct 6, 2013 #14
    I think I have it now. I did the expansion around theta_eq=pi, and the differential equation was the one of an exponential function(so not stable).

Around theta_eq=arccos(g/(Rω^2)), I found

$$k^2=\frac{3g^2}{R^2\omega^2}-\omega^2$$

16. Oct 6, 2013 #15
    At ## \theta = 0 ##, the linearized equation is ## \ddot \theta + (\frac g R - \omega^2) \theta = 0 ##. Clearly, the nature of its solution depends critically on ##(\frac g R - \omega^2)##, and three cases are possible. You should analyze all of them.

Same for ## \theta = \pi ##.

17. Oct 6, 2013 #16
    I do not think it is correct. I obtain a similar expression, yet a different one.

18. Oct 6, 2013 #17

Thanks again! forgot about that. Still get that with theta_eq=pi, it is unstable in every case. I also see I made a mistake with determining k in my previous post, I got a K now that makes it stable for the allowed \omega (minus the end point).

19. Oct 6, 2013 #18
    I got this one now:

$$k^2=\omega^2(1-(\frac{g}{R\omega})^2),$$

20. Oct 6, 2013 #19
    This is not self-consistent dimensionally. ##(\frac{g}{R\omega})^2## has the dimension of frequency squared, while 1, from which it is subtracted, is dimensionless.

21. Oct 6, 2013 #20
    By the way, how did you analyze the case ##\theta_e = 0## and ## R\omega^2 = g ##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted