Is Angular Momentum Conserved in a Vertical Plane with Additional Force?

They are a different way of looking at physics problems, and often give more insight than the usual Newtonian approach. Keep going!In summary, the problem considers a particle moving in a vertical plane under the influence of gravity and an additional force towards the origin. The Lagrangian equations of motion are found using appropriate generalized coordinates, and it is determined that angular momentum is not conserved in this system. The Lagrangian is given by L = 1/2m(\dot r^2 + \dot \theta^2r^2) - mgr\cos{\theta} - \frac{A}{a}r^a.
pandagoat

Homework Statement

Consider a vertical plane in a constant gravitational field. Let the origin of a coordinate system be located at some point in this plane. A particle of mass m moves in the vertical plane under the influence of gravity and under the influence of an aditional force f = -Ar^(a-1) directed toward the origin (r is the distance from the origin; A and a [does not = 0 or 1] are constants). Choose appropriate generalized coordinates, and find the Langrangian equations of motion. Is the angular momentum about thet origin conserved?

Homework Equations

[tex]L = T - U[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Choose the coordinate system (r', y') centered at the origin, so that the r' axis is in the direction of the origin to the particle of mass m and the y' axis is perpendicular to r'.

First, [tex]\arrow F = (-mg\cos{\theta}, -mg\sin{\theta}) + (-Ar^{a-1}, 0) = (-mg\cos{\theta} - Ar^{a-1}, -mg\sin{\theta})[/tex].

From here we can guess the potential:
[tex]U = mgr\cos{\theta} + \frac{A}{a}r^a + mgy\sin{\theta}[/tex].

(The preceding steps may be wrong, but the following is what I'm not sure about):
Notice that in our coordinate system y is always 0. So our potential is [tex]U = mgr\cos{\theta} + \frac{A}{a}r^a[/tex]. For the kinetic energy, we get [tex]T = 1/2m(\dot r^2 + \dot \theta^2r^2) <ACCIDENT = 1/2m\dot \theta^2r^2>[/tex]. So our Langrangian is [tex]L = 1/2m(\dot r^2 + \dot \theta^2r^2) - mgr\cos{\theta} - \frac{A}{a}r^a[/tex].

The rest is easy if I did the preceding correctly. You get that angular momentum is not conserved when you find [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \theta} = 0[/tex].

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK. You should get two equations of motion. What does this mean? Are you saying r-dot is zero?

[tex]
T = 1/2m(\dot r^2 + \dot \theta^2r^2) = 1/2m\dot \theta^2r^2
[/tex]

Last edited:
That was an accident. In the Lagrangian, you can see I did not carry that part through. I will put the incorrect part in brackets. Thank you! My confidence in this material has been elevated.

Last edited:
Just checking. Lagrangians are fun once you get used to them.

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system of particles. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system can be described by minimizing the action (a quantity that combines the kinetic and potential energies of the system).

2. How is Lagrangian Mechanics different from Newtonian Mechanics?

Unlike Newtonian Mechanics, which is based on the concept of forces, Lagrangian Mechanics is based on the concept of energy. It also takes into account the constraints and symmetries of a system, making it a more general and efficient approach to solving problems in mechanics.

3. What is a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that summarizes the dynamics of a system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of a system, and it is used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

4. How is a Lagrangian Mechanics problem solved?

A Lagrangian Mechanics problem is solved by finding the Lagrangian of the system and using it to derive the equations of motion. These equations can then be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as calculus of variations, to find the trajectory of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics has numerous applications in physics and engineering, including the study of celestial mechanics, fluid mechanics, and the motion of rigid bodies. It is also used in the design of mechanical systems, such as robots and spacecraft, to optimize their motion and performance.