1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian Mechanics Problem

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a vertical plane in a constant gravitational feild. Let the origin of a coordinate system be located at some point in this plane. A particle of mass m moves in the vertical plane under the influence of gravity and under the influence of an aditional force f = -Ar^(a-1) directed toward the origin (r is the distance from the origin; A and a [does not = 0 or 1] are constants). Choose appropriate generalized coordinates, and find the Langrangian equations of motion. Is the angular momentum about thet origin conserved?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]L = T - U[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Choose the coordinate system (r', y') centered at the origin, so that the r' axis is in the direction of the origin to the particle of mass m and the y' axis is perpendicular to r'.

First, [tex]\arrow F = (-mg\cos{\theta}, -mg\sin{\theta}) + (-Ar^{a-1}, 0) = (-mg\cos{\theta} - Ar^{a-1}, -mg\sin{\theta})[/tex].

From here we can guess the potential:
    [tex]U = mgr\cos{\theta} + \frac{A}{a}r^a + mgy\sin{\theta}[/tex].

(The preceding steps may be wrong, but the following is what I'm not sure about):
    Notice that in our coordinate system y is always 0. So our potential is [tex]U = mgr\cos{\theta} + \frac{A}{a}r^a[/tex]. For the kinetic energy, we get [tex]T = 1/2m(\dot r^2 + \dot \theta^2r^2) <ACCIDENT = 1/2m\dot \theta^2r^2>[/tex]. So our Langrangian is [tex]L = 1/2m(\dot r^2 + \dot \theta^2r^2) - mgr\cos{\theta} - \frac{A}{a}r^a[/tex].

The rest is easy if I did the preceding correctly. You get that angular momentum is not conserved when you find [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \theta} = 0[/tex].

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks OK. You should get two equations of motion. What does this mean? Are you saying r-dot is zero?

[tex]
    T = 1/2m(\dot r^2 + \dot \theta^2r^2) = 1/2m\dot \theta^2r^2
    [/tex]

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    That was an accident. In the Lagrangian, you can see I did not carry that part through. I will put the incorrect part in brackets. Thank you! My confidence in this material has been elevated.

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just checking. Lagrangians are fun once you get used to them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook