The Connection Between Geodesics and the Lagrangian | Explained in Textbook

In summary, the action of a geodesic is the global expression of the Lagrangian in (2), which is just the square of the magnitude of the velocity vector, parameterized by ##s## along the curve.
Pentaquark5
I've recently read in a textbook that a geodesic can be defined as the stationary point of the action

\begin{align}
I(\gamma)=\frac{1}{2}\int_a^b \underbrace{g(\dot{\gamma},\dot{\gamma})(s)}_{=:\mathcal{L}(\gamma,\dot{\gamma})} \mathrm{d}s \text{,}
\end{align}

where ##\gamma:[a,b]\rightarrow M## is a differentiable curve. Thus,

\begin{align}
\mathcal{L}(x^\mu ,\dot{x}^\nu)=\frac{1}{2}g_{\alpha \beta}(x^\mu)\dot{x}^\alpha \dot{x}^\beta\text{.}
\end{align}

How exactly does the Lagrangian in ##(2)## follow from ##(1)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
You read it off?

I guess the issue is that I don't know how to calculate ##g(\dot{\gamma},\dot{\gamma})(s)##. From what I know ##g(X,Y)=g_{ij}\, dx^i(X) \otimes dx^j(Y)## for ##X,Y## arbitrary vector fields. How does this definition lead to the Lagrangian above?

Now, let me first say that the term under the integral including the one half is precisely the global expression of the Lagrangian in (2).

If you want to be very precise, which is rare among physicists, then the term under the integral should be
$$\left( \gamma^* g \right) _{s} \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial s}, \frac{\partial}{\partial s} \right)
= g _{\gamma \left( s \right) } \left( \gamma_* \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial s} \right) , \gamma_* \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial s} \right) \right)
$$
Here the ##*## as a superscript denotes the pullback and as a subscript it denotes the pushforward. ##\frac{\partial}{\partial s}## is the standard tangent vector (field) on the domain of the curve ##\gamma##. By definition one has
$$\dot \gamma _s= \gamma_* \left( \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial s} \right)_s \right) \, \, $$
for all s in the domain of ##\gamma##.
If you now choose local coordinates ##x## with ##\gamma## lying in the domain, then you may write
$$\dot \gamma_s = \dot{x}^i\left(s \right) \, \, \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} \right)_{\gamma \left(s \right)} \, ,$$
where I used Einstein summation. Plugging this into the expression above yields what you were looking for.

Likes dextercioby
Did that help or did it just make things more confusing?

Geometry_dude said:
Did that help or did it just make things more confusing?

Well, it's hard for me to imagine what type of person, in first learning relativity, would already know what a push-forward is.

stevendaryl said:
Well, it's hard for me to imagine what type of person, in first learning relativity, would already know what a push-forward is.
A mathematician who has not studied general relativity.

Likes dextercioby
Pentaquark5 said:
I guess the issue is that I don't know how to calculate ##g(\dot{\gamma},\dot{\gamma})(s)##. From what I know ##g(X,Y)=g_{ij}\, dx^i(X) \otimes dx^j(Y)## for ##X,Y## arbitrary vector fields. How does this definition lead to the Lagrangian above?
Think of the ##dx^i## as infinitesimal vectors along a curve "##\gamma##" (where ##\gamma## is really a mapping ##\gamma : {\mathbb R} \to {\mathbb R}^4##, i.e., a mapping from an arbitrary parameter ##s \in {\mathbb R}## to a point on the manifold, coordinatized in ##{\mathbb R}^4##). So, in component language, we denote the curve as ##\gamma^i(s)##.

Then we abuse our notation, and express arbitrary curves as ##x^i(s)##, and often drop the ##(s)##. [Sigh.]

The tangent vector (aka generalized velocity) at any point on the curve is ##d\gamma^i(s)/ds##, or ##dx^i(s)/ds## with the moderately-abused notation, or even just ##dx^i/ds## in disgracefully-abused notation. The Lagrangian is then just the square of the magnitude of the velocity vector, parameterized by ##s## along the curve.

The action ##I(\gamma)## is just a line integral of the Lagrangian along a section of the curve ##\gamma##.

Likes Geometry_dude and vanhees71
Thank you all for your help, I believe I understand now!

Likes Geometry_dude

1. What is a geodesic and how is it related to the Lagrangian?

A geodesic is the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. It is related to the Lagrangian through the principle of least action, which states that a physical system will always follow a path that minimizes the action, a quantity derived from the Lagrangian.

2. How does the Lagrangian help explain the connection between geodesics and the motion of particles?

The Lagrangian provides a mathematical framework for understanding the motion of particles by considering all possible paths between two points and finding the one that minimizes the action. This path is the geodesic, and it represents the most efficient path for a particle to travel from one point to another.

3. Can the Lagrangian be used to describe the motion of objects in both classical and quantum mechanics?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used in both classical and quantum mechanics to describe the motion of particles. In classical mechanics, the Lagrangian is derived from the kinetic and potential energies of a system, while in quantum mechanics, it is derived from the wave function of a particle.

4. What are some real-world applications of the connection between geodesics and the Lagrangian?

The connection between geodesics and the Lagrangian has numerous applications in physics, including predicting the trajectory of objects in space, understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, and analyzing the motion of celestial bodies in the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Lagrangian in explaining the connection between geodesics?

As with any mathematical model, there are limitations to the use of the Lagrangian in explaining the connection between geodesics. It may not accurately describe the motion of particles in extreme conditions, such as near black holes or at the quantum scale. Additionally, it assumes that the system being studied is in a state of equilibrium.