Solve Laplace Transform Homework: Find i(t) for t>0

In summary, the conversation is about solving a given circuit using Laplace transform for current (i) at t>0 when a switch is opened at t=0. The final circuit diagram in s-domain is requested. The person solving the circuit considered it in steady state before the switch was opened and calculated the current across the inductor to be 6A. However, after further discussion and correction of a calculation mistake, it was determined that the actual current is 4A. Appreciation was expressed for the correction.
ranju

Homework Statement

we have to solve the given circuit using laplace transform for i(t) for t>0 when switch k opened at t=0..
now all I wnated to make clear is the final circuit diagram of this in s-domain..[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

as I solved I considered the circuit to be in steady state before switch is opened so , current across inductor is 6A...[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20141007_181238.jpg
    IMG_20141007_181238.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_20141007_181609.jpg
    IMG_20141007_181609.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Images are not clear.

What is i(0+) you are getting ?

well only the left hand portion is'nt clear.. in 1st pic.. there is 12V voltage source & in 2nd pic it is 12/s in s-domain..
i(0+)=i(0-) = 6A..

can you show your working for i(0-).

sorry actually I did a calculation mistake..i(0-) =4 A.. and I found the equivalent current of the circuit considering it in steady state before switch is opened.. so the inductor is dhorted so the whole 4 A current pass across the inductor branch..!

Are you sure the current will be 4 A,mine is coming 14 A.

you are right ..:rolleyes: ..

Your second image is correct.

thanks and additional thanks for correcting that mistake.. :p

You are welcome.

1. How do I approach solving a Laplace Transform homework problem?

To solve a Laplace Transform homework problem, you first need to understand the Laplace Transform equation, which is integral of a function multiplied by an exponential term. Then, you need to apply the appropriate rules and properties of Laplace Transform to simplify the equation. Finally, use inverse Laplace Transform to find the original function.

2. What is the purpose of finding i(t) for t>0 in a Laplace Transform problem?

The purpose of finding i(t) for t>0 in a Laplace Transform problem is to find the response of a system to a specific input over time. In other words, it helps to understand how a system behaves over time when subjected to a certain input function.

3. How does Laplace Transform relate to differential equations?

Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. This is achieved by converting the time-domain representation of a function into the frequency-domain representation.

4. What are some tips for solving Laplace Transform homework problems?

Some tips for solving Laplace Transform homework problems include: understanding the properties and rules of Laplace Transform, practicing with various examples, breaking the problem into smaller parts, and being organized with your calculations.

5. Can Laplace Transform be used in real-life applications?

Yes, Laplace Transform has many real-life applications, especially in the fields of engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is commonly used to solve differential equations and to analyze the behavior of systems over time. It also has applications in signal processing, control systems, and circuit analysis.