How do I use integration by parts to find the Laplace transformation of tsin(t)?

In summary: Then you get dv= -e-st dt and v=(-1/s)e-st. So using the formula uv - ∫vdu you get t(-e-st)/s + (1/s2) e-st cos t. However the integral you are left with is not trivial.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

Find the Laplace transformation of the following function by using iterations of integration by parts:

f(t) = tsin(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do integration by parts (as learned in calculus) but have never seen a funtion that has dependence on t in three places ie. definition of laplace transform is ∫f(t)e^(-st)dt which for this problem would go to... ∫tsin(t)e^(-st)dt...how would I go about starting this? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement

Find the Laplace transformation of the following function by using iterations of integration by parts:

f(t) = tsin(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do integration by parts (as learned in calculus) but have never seen a funtion that has dependence on t in three places ie. definition of laplace transform is ∫f(t)e^(-st)dt which for this problem would go to... ∫tsin(t)e^(-st)dt...how would I go about starting this? thanks

You could undoubtedly do it if it were just ##t## times an exponential. Since ##\sin t## is the imaginary part of ##e^{it}##, try$$
\int_0^\infty te^{(-s+i)t}~dt$$ and take the imaginary part of the answer.

The complex integral approach is completely correct but you would want to use the fact that
sin(t)= (eit- e-it) / 2i

Just to clarify on my notation ∫UdV = UV + ∫Vdu
So, if we let U= t and dV= sint(t)e^st all we have to do is figure out the integral of dV.

This is another common problem done in integral calculus on its own. The approach is to do IBP twice and return with the original integral so that you can solve for it in a less than kosher way. Just remember to keep the limits 0,∞ throughout the problem in the appropriate places.

For your convenience if dV= sin(t) e^st, then V= 1/(1+s2). This is only valid for the limits of integration 0, ∞.

Another trick is to use
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d t} t \sin t \exp(-s t)=-\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} s} \int_0^{\infty} \sin t \exp(-s t),[/tex]
which is a trivial integral, using the exponential form of the sine function.

vanhees71 said:
Another trick is to use
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d t} t \sin t \exp(-s t)=-\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} s} \int_0^{\infty} \sin t \exp(-s t)\mathrm{d t},[/tex]
which is a trivial integral, using the exponential form of the sine function.

Fixed (missing a dt in the last integral).

Or you could just try breaking it up as u=t sin t and dv=e-st dt.

1. What is Laplace Transformation?

Laplace Transformation is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It allows for the analysis and solution of differential equations by converting them into algebraic equations.

2. What is the purpose of Laplace Transformation?

The purpose of Laplace Transformation is to simplify the analysis and solution of differential equations. It allows for the use of algebraic techniques to solve complex problems that are difficult to solve using traditional methods.

3. How is Laplace Transformation used in science?

Laplace Transformation is used in various fields of science, particularly in engineering and physics. It is used to model and analyze systems with complex dynamics, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions.

4. What is the Laplace Transform of a function?

The Laplace Transform of a function is a complex-valued function that represents the original function in the frequency domain. It can be thought of as a tool that converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

5. How is Laplace Transformation related to Fourier Transformation?

Laplace Transformation and Fourier Transformation are closely related mathematical tools. The Laplace Transform is an extension of the Fourier Transform, which is used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. However, the Laplace Transform is more versatile as it can be applied to a wider range of functions, including those with exponential growth or decay.