1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transformation

1. Aug 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Laplace transformation of the following function by using iterations of integration by parts:

f(t) = tsin(t)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do integration by parts (as learned in calculus) but have never seen a funtion that has dependence on t in three places ie. definition of laplace transform is ∫f(t)e^(-st)dt which for this problem would go to... ∫tsin(t)e^(-st)dt...how would I go about starting this? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could undoubtedly do it if it were just ##t## times an exponential. Since ##\sin t## is the imaginary part of ##e^{it}##, try$$
    \int_0^\infty te^{(-s+i)t}~dt$$ and take the imaginary part of the answer.

4. Aug 29, 2013 #3
    The complex integral approach is completely correct but you would want to use the fact that
    sin(t)= (eit- e-it) / 2i

Just to clarify on my notation ∫UdV = UV + ∫Vdu
    So, if we let U= t and dV= sint(t)e^st all we have to do is figure out the integral of dV.

This is another common problem done in integral calculus on its own. The approach is to do IBP twice and return with the original integral so that you can solve for it in a less than kosher way. Just remember to keep the limits 0,∞ throughout the problem in the appropriate places.

For your convenience if dV= sin(t) e^st, then V= 1/(1+s2). This is only valid for the limits of integration 0, ∞.

5. Aug 30, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Another trick is to use
    [tex]\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d t} t \sin t \exp(-s t)=-\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} s} \int_0^{\infty} \sin t \exp(-s t),[/tex]
    which is a trivial integral, using the exponential form of the sine function.

6. Aug 30, 2013 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Fixed (missing a dt in the last integral).

7. Aug 31, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Or you could just try breaking it up as u=t sin t and dv=e-st dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted