1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Larson's Calculus vs. Stewart's Calculus

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Hi, I'm a high school student and I'm just wondering which book would be better for an AP Calculus (AB and BC) course. We're currently using Larson's (HERE). If you guys think Stewart's single variable calc book is better (I KNOW IT SUCKS...but the choices come down to these two, sorry), I need to know please. Thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2
    Larson by about a mile. Far easier to understand. More helpful exercises, although there are a tone of them. He explains things better. Especially for a high school student, I'd choose Larson.

You can preview the book here:

http://hmco.tdlc.com/public/calc7esample/calc7emain.html

I'd also recommend looking into Thomas and Finney, seventh or ninth edition of Calculus and Analytic Geometry.

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Yeah I know about Larson's book, and we're using the 8th edition right now.

Are there any newer editions of Thomas and Finney's book? Is it a good book for high school kids?

5. Sep 24, 2008 #4

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

opinions, anyone??

6. Sep 26, 2008 #5
    I definitely recommend Thomas and Finney 9th. I found it on ebay for about 10 dollars and reference it all the time.

7. Oct 3, 2008 #6
    I love Stewart's Calculus. I don't see why people dislike it. It's easy to understand and covers the topic very well. I have compared it to Thomas' and i would prefer stewart any day. However, i think spivak is the best if your aim is to learn a lot of pure math in the end.

8. Mar 5, 2011 #7
    It's of a poorer quality than Thomas, that's why. I cannot see how anyone can prefer it to Thomas- the prose of Thomas is easily more informative as well as easier to read, and the examples, explanations, and graphs are better than Stewart. I have taken my bible from its shelf, and replaced it with Thomas Calculus, and every fortnight, I have prayed upon it.

9. Mar 6, 2011 #8
    I like Larson. I have a fourth edition that I've continually used since 1994.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?