Larson's Calculus vs. Stewart's Calculus

• Thread starter thrill3rnit3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: It's a bit dated in places, but overall it's a good book. I like the way he breaks down the material so you can understand it. I also think that Stewart's book can be a bit dense at times.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Hi, I'm a high school student and I'm just wondering which book would be better for an AP Calculus (AB and BC) course. We're currently using Larson's (https://www.amazon.com/dp/061850303X/?tag=pfamazon01-20). If you guys think Stewart's single variable calc book is better (I KNOW IT SUCKS...but the choices come down to these two, sorry), I need to know please. Thanks :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Larson by about a mile. Far easier to understand. More helpful exercises, although there are a tone of them. He explains things better. Especially for a high school student, I'd choose Larson.

You can preview the book here:

http://hmco.tdlc.com/public/calc7esample/calc7emain.html

I'd also recommend looking into Thomas and Finney, seventh or ninth edition of Calculus and Analytic Geometry.

OrbitalPower said:
Larson by about a mile. Far easier to understand. More helpful exercises, although there are a tone of them. He explains things better. Especially for a high school student, I'd choose Larson.

You can preview the book here:

http://hmco.tdlc.com/public/calc7esample/calc7emain.html

I'd also recommend looking into Thomas and Finney, seventh or ninth edition of Calculus and Analytic Geometry.

Yeah I know about Larson's book, and we're using the 8th edition right now.

Are there any newer editions of Thomas and Finney's book? Is it a good book for high school kids?

opinions, anyone??

I definitely recommend Thomas and Finney 9th. I found it on ebay for about 10 dollars and reference it all the time.

I love Stewart's Calculus. I don't see why people dislike it. It's easy to understand and covers the topic very well. I have compared it to Thomas' and i would prefer stewart any day. However, i think spivak is the best if your aim is to learn a lot of pure math in the end.

physicsnoob93 said:
I love Stewart's Calculus. I don't see why people dislike it. It's easy to understand and covers the topic very well. I have compared it to Thomas' and i would prefer stewart any day. However, i think spivak is the best if your aim is to learn a lot of pure math in the end.

It's of a poorer quality than Thomas, that's why. I cannot see how anyone can prefer it to Thomas- the prose of Thomas is easily more informative as well as easier to read, and the examples, explanations, and graphs are better than Stewart. I have taken my bible from its shelf, and replaced it with Thomas Calculus, and every fortnight, I have prayed upon it.

I like Larson. I have a fourth edition that I've continually used since 1994.

1. What is the difference between Larson's Calculus and Stewart's Calculus?

Larson's Calculus and Stewart's Calculus are two different textbooks written to teach the subject of calculus. The main difference between the two is the approach and writing style of the authors. Larson's Calculus is known for its clear and concise explanations, while Stewart's Calculus is known for its rigorous and thorough approach.

2. Which textbook is better for self-study?

This depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some may find Larson's Calculus easier to understand and follow, while others may prefer the depth and detail in Stewart's Calculus. It is recommended to try both and see which one works best for you.

3. Are the topics covered in both textbooks the same?

Yes, both Larson's Calculus and Stewart's Calculus cover the same topics in calculus, including limits, derivatives, and integrals. However, the order and presentation of the topics may differ.

4. Which textbook is more suitable for beginners?

In general, Larson's Calculus is considered more beginner-friendly due to its straightforward explanations and examples. However, both textbooks can be used by beginners with the help of supplemental materials and resources.

5. Can I use both textbooks together?

Yes, using both textbooks together can be beneficial as it provides different perspectives and approaches to the same topics. This can help deepen understanding and improve problem-solving skills in calculus.