Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy

In summary, the person is trying to use the LIBS technique for elemental analysis of human nails, but is getting emission lines from the metal sample holder instead. They are using a small sample size and a focusing lens, but are not getting any results. They are asking for advice on how to overcome this problem, and someone suggests increasing the sample volume, focusing the laser only on the sample, and running a baseline without the sample. The person thanks them for their advice.
Avery_quinn
Hi, I'm trying to use LIBS technique to figure out elemental analysis of human nails. But every time i run the experiment, i get the emission line of metal instead. The sample holder is indeed made up of metal. What should I do to overcome this problem?

Since i have small size sample, I'm using focusing lens with fl 15cm to focus the laser but there's no spark. Should i stop using lens? or should i use lens with different fl? Thanx!

Attachments

• gggggg.PNG
    gggggg.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ive never used LiBS but try
-increasing your sample volume
-having the laser focus only on the sample
-run a baseline with no sample and subtract this baseline signal from the sample measurement

thank you for your advice.

What is Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS)?

Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) is a type of spectroscopy that uses a high-powered laser to create a plasma on the surface of a sample. This plasma then emits light, which is analyzed to determine the elemental composition of the sample.

How does LIBS work?

In LIBS, a high-powered laser is focused onto the surface of a sample, creating a plasma. This plasma emits light, which is collected and analyzed by a spectrometer. The resulting spectrum is then compared to a database of known spectra to determine the elemental composition of the sample.

What types of samples can be analyzed with LIBS?

LIBS can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including solids, liquids, and gases. It is commonly used in environmental analysis, forensic analysis, and industrial applications such as quality control in manufacturing.

What are the advantages of using LIBS over other spectroscopic techniques?

One of the main advantages of LIBS is its ability to analyze samples without any sample preparation. Additionally, it is a non-destructive technique, meaning that the sample can be reused or analyzed further. LIBS also has a high sensitivity and can detect trace amounts of elements in a sample.

What are the limitations of LIBS?

One limitation of LIBS is its limited depth of analysis, as the laser can only penetrate a few micrometers into the sample. It is also not as precise as other spectroscopic techniques, and the results can be affected by factors such as sample matrix and laser intensity. Additionally, LIBS can be expensive to set up and requires specialized training to operate.