Learning Latex: A Starter Guide for the Struggling Coder

In summary, The person is struggling with using latex and is looking for a reference with examples to get started. They mention being able to code in C and using HTML, and provide a URL to a 17-page pdf file with information on using math in forum posts.
NotaPhysicist
I'm struggling with latex. I know HTML and can code in C, but for the life of me I need more examples.

Can someone point me to a reference that is less than a gazzillion pages long and longer than two pages of reference code. Just something to get me started on my way...

Physics news on Phys.org
I use this:

Do you need it for forum posts here, or to write articles and/or books? If it's just for forum posts, you only need to know a little. Just find a few posts that use some math, and click the quote button to see how they did it.

I found something that might help you. It is a .pdf file. Only 17 pages.

"ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/doc/amsmath/short-math-guide.pdf"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is LaTeX and why should I learn it?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used for creating professional and high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. Learning LaTeX can greatly improve the visual appeal and organization of your documents, as well as save you time and effort in formatting.

2. Is LaTeX difficult to learn?

Like any new skill, there is a learning curve when it comes to LaTeX. However, with the right resources and practice, it can be easily mastered. This starter guide is designed to make learning LaTeX as simple and straightforward as possible.

3. Do I need any special software to use LaTeX?

Yes, you will need to download and install a LaTeX distribution, such as TeX Live or MiKTeX, in order to use LaTeX on your computer. These distributions include the necessary programs and packages for creating and compiling LaTeX documents.

4. Can I use LaTeX for any type of document?

While LaTeX is primarily used for scientific and technical documents, it can also be used for other types of documents such as resumes, cover letters, and presentations. Additionally, many journals and publishers require submissions in LaTeX format.

5. Are there any resources for troubleshooting or further learning?

Yes, there are numerous online forums and communities where you can ask for help and advice with specific LaTeX issues. Additionally, there are many books and tutorials available for further learning and mastering of LaTeX.