Lattice constant, space between planes?

In summary, the volume density of a body centered cubic lattice is 5.3*10^22. To find the lattice constant, we use the equation 4/a^3= volume density and solve for a, which gives us a value of 4.25 A. To calculate the effective radius of an atom, we use the formula (r1+r2) and multiply it by a factor, which we are unsure of. For the surface density on the 110 plane, we use the equation 2/(sqrt2*(4.25*10^-8)^2). To find the distance between two nearest parallel 110 planes, we can use geometry or calculate it using the magnitude of the reciprocal lattice vector with the
orangeincup

Homework Statement

the volume density of a body centered cubic lattice is 5.3*10^22

Calculate the lattice constant, effective radius of atom, surface density on 110 plane, and distance between two nearest parallel 110 planes.

Homework Equations

4/a^3= volume density
2/sqrt2*a^2

The Attempt at a Solution

5.3*10^22=4/a^3, a=4.25 A

2) effective atom radius, I know its( r1+r2) but I do not know what factor its multiplied by(i.e. 4*(r1+r2)/sqrt3, 2...) and I think I could solve for r^2 instead of r1 and r2.

3) 2/(sqrt2*(4.25*10^-8)^2) = surface density?

4) I do not know how to find distance between planes, is this r*2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For 2, you need to know the positions of two nearest neighbors. If you take an atom in the corner, where is its nearest neighbor?
For 3, what is a 110 plane for a cubic lattice? Can you draw it?
You can calculate the distance between planes either from geometry or by using the magnitude of the reciprocal lattice vector with the same indices.

What is lattice constant?

Lattice constant, also known as lattice parameter, is the distance between two consecutive lattice points in a crystal lattice. It is a fundamental property of a crystalline material and is typically measured in units of length, such as angstroms or nanometers.

How is lattice constant determined?

Lattice constant can be determined through various experimental techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, electron diffraction, or neutron diffraction. These techniques involve measuring the angles and intensities of diffracted beams to calculate the distance between lattice planes. It can also be calculated theoretically using the crystal structure and lattice symmetry of the material.

What is the significance of lattice constant?

Lattice constant plays a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of a material. It affects the strength, density, melting point, and electronic properties of a crystal. It also determines the arrangement of atoms within a crystal lattice and how they interact with each other.

Can lattice constant change?

Yes, lattice constant can change due to external factors such as temperature, pressure, or the addition of impurities. This can lead to changes in the physical and chemical properties of a material, making it important to control and understand the lattice constant of a crystal.

What is the difference between lattice constant and lattice spacing?

Lattice constant and lattice spacing are often used interchangeably, but they refer to slightly different concepts. Lattice constant is the distance between two consecutive lattice points within a unit cell, while lattice spacing is the distance between two adjacent lattice planes. Lattice spacing is usually greater than the lattice constant due to the presence of multiple lattice planes within a unit cell.