Launching a projectile while

• Thread starter idlackage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: To do that you'll need to use the equation for vx, vy, and y. This equation is also two equations with two unknowns: x and ze.
idlackage
Launching a projectile while on something with velocity

Homework Statement

A man is riding on a cart which is moving at a constant velocity of 10 m/s. He wishes to throw a ball through a stationary hoop 5.0 m above his extended hand in such a manner that the ball will be at the top of its trajectory as it passes through the hoop. He throws the ball with a speed of 13 m/s with respect to himself.

a) What must be the vertical component of the initial velocity of the ball?
b) How many seconds after he releases the ball will it pass through the hoop?
c) At what horizontal distance in front of the hoop must he release the ball?

Homework Equations

V1 = V2 - a⌂t
⌂d = V1⌂t + 0.5a⌂t2

The Attempt at a Solution

2ihrvwz.jpg

I pretty much have nothing but that diagram. I have no idea how to even start--I attempted making sense of a triangle calculation somewhere with the givens, but it didn't work out.

Parts b) and c) would be done using one of the 'relevant equations' since I'm guessing I'd obtain the necessary information to plug into them after doing part a).

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How would you go about solving the problem if the cart wasn't moving?

hotvette said:
How would you go about solving the problem if the cart wasn't moving?

I would start by a component analysis, but since I don't have the angle I can't really do that--which means I'll have to start by finding the angle, but I'm under the impression that all equations I will be using will require components. I know I'm missing some concept but I can't figure it out so it's kind of paradoxical to me right now.

1. The first (and most important) thing you need are the kinematic equations for a projectile. Do you have those? They should be in your book or you should have instruction on how to derive them. You'll have four: x, vx, y, vy.

2. Starting with y, you know vy at the max height and you know the y distance traveled (from the problem statement). These are two equations with two unknowns that can be solved for t and vy0.

3. You also know v0 from the problem statement. Using the pythagorean theorem you can find vx0.

4. Now that you know t and vx0 you should be able to calculate x.

Based on the given information, we can use the equations of motion to solve for the initial vertical velocity, the time it takes for the ball to pass through the hoop, and the horizontal distance in front of the hoop where the ball should be released.

a) To find the initial vertical velocity, we can use the equation v1 = v2 - at, where v1 is the final vertical velocity (which we want to be 0 m/s at the top of the trajectory), v2 is the initial vertical velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time it takes for the ball to reach the top of its trajectory. Since the ball is thrown with a speed of 13 m/s with respect to the man, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the initial vertical velocity as follows:

v2^2 = (13 m/s)^2 - (10 m/s)^2

v2 = 6.6 m/s

Therefore, the vertical component of the initial velocity of the ball is 6.6 m/s.

b) To find the time it takes for the ball to pass through the hoop, we can use the equation ⌂d = v1⌂t + 0.5a⌂t^2, where ⌂d is the vertical distance (5.0 m in this case), v1 is the final vertical velocity (which we want to be 0 m/s at the top of the trajectory), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and ⌂t is the time it takes for the ball to reach the top of its trajectory. Solving for ⌂t, we get:

⌂t = (v1 ± √(v1^2 - 4(0.5)(-9.8)(5.0)))/(-9.8)

⌂t = (0 ± √(6.6^2 + 4(0.5)(9.8)(5.0)))/(-9.8)

⌂t = (0 ± 8.6)/(-9.8)

⌂t = 0.88 s or -0.88 s

Since we are only concerned with the positive value of ⌂t, the time it takes for the ball to pass

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a launched projectile?

The initial velocity of a launched projectile can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed. To find the initial velocity, you can rearrange the equation to u = v - at.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a launched projectile?

The trajectory of a launched projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. Other factors that may influence the trajectory include the shape and weight of the projectile, the surface it is launched from, and any external forces acting on it.

3. How does air resistance affect the flight of a launched projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the flight of a launched projectile. As the projectile moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, slowing it down. This force depends on the speed, size, and shape of the projectile, as well as the density and viscosity of the air. In some cases, air resistance can cause a projectile to deviate from its intended trajectory.

4. What is the optimal angle of launch for a projectile?

The optimal angle of launch for a projectile depends on the desired range and height. In general, a 45-degree angle will give the maximum range for a projectile launched on a level surface with no air resistance. However, in real-world scenarios, factors such as air resistance and height limitations may affect the optimal angle. It is best to use mathematical calculations or perform experiments to determine the most efficient angle of launch for a specific projectile.

5. How does the mass of a projectile affect its trajectory?

The mass of a projectile can affect its trajectory in multiple ways. A heavier projectile will experience more gravitational force, causing it to fall faster and have a steeper trajectory. Additionally, the mass of a projectile can affect its initial velocity and air resistance, both of which can alter its trajectory. Generally, a heavier projectile will have a shorter range and higher impact force compared to a lighter projectile with the same initial velocity and angle of launch.