Exploring the Ideas of Nottale: A Closer Look

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, Nottale's ideas on scale relativity have been met with general indifference, despite their elegant and natural proposals and effective results. They have also been cited by other authors and have made specific, testable predictions. However, the interpretation and understanding of their work remains debatable.
humanino
I would appreciate people's opinion on Nottale's ideas. It looks fascinating to me. The more I read his papers, the less I understand the general indifference his work seems to be plagued with. I admit that his ambitions are huge. Nevertheless, his proposals are very elegant and natural, and also lead effective results, such as :

Gravitational structure formation in scale relativity and On the morphogenesis of stellar flows - Application to planetary nebulae

A scale-relativistic derivation of the Dirac Equation
"[...] we propose here a derivation of the Dirac equation also from a geodesic equation [...]"

Gauge field theory in scale relativity
"The aim of the present article is to give physical meaning to the ingredients of standard gauge field theory in the framework of the scale relativity theory. [...]"
cited twice by Robert Carroll (Un. of Illinois) especially in his Fisher, Kaehler, Weyl and the quantum potential

Also, other authors have followed his steps :
Phase Transition in Gauge Theories and the Planck Scale Physics
L. V. Laperashvili (ITEP, Moscow, Russia), D. A. Ryzhikh (ITEP, Moscow, Russia)

You can find more on his http://wwwusr.obspm.fr/~nottale/, especially many papers to download. The equations work. The interpretation is doubtlessly debatable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've not read the PNe paper, but the abstract is certainly correct in stating that "... these simple shapes, which are expected to be solutions of standard hydrodynamical equations, are not yet fully understood." Whether their (Nottale and da Rocha) proposal has legs remains to be seen; they seem to have made some specific, testable predictions, so we may not have too long to wait to find out!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Nottale's ideas. I agree that his work is fascinating and it is surprising that it has not received more attention and recognition. Nottale's proposals are indeed elegant and natural, and it is impressive how they lead to effective results in various fields such as gravitational structure formation and the derivation of the Dirac equation.

It is interesting to see how other authors have followed Nottale's steps and applied his ideas in their own research. This shows the potential and relevance of his work in pushing the boundaries of our understanding in various fields.

However, as you mentioned, the interpretation of his ideas may be debatable and it is understandable that some may have reservations about it. But I believe that the value of Nottale's contributions lies in the potential they hold for further exploration and advancement of our knowledge.

It is important to continue discussing and exploring Nottale's ideas and I hope that more people will be open to considering and discussing them in the future. Thank you for bringing attention to his work and inviting others to share their opinions on it.

Related to Exploring the Ideas of Nottale: A Closer Look

What is the theory of Nottale's Scale Relativity?

Nottale's Scale Relativity is a theory that aims to provide a framework for understanding the complex and hierarchical nature of the universe. It suggests that the laws of physics may vary depending on the scale at which they are observed, and that there may be a fundamental scale at which all physical phenomena are connected.

How does Nottale's Scale Relativity differ from other theories?

Unlike traditional theories, Nottale's Scale Relativity takes into account the possibility of non-differentiable spaces and non-Euclidean geometries. It also incorporates fractal geometry and the concept of self-similarity, which allows for a deeper understanding of the interconnectedness of the universe.

What practical applications does Nottale's Scale Relativity have?

Nottale's Scale Relativity has potential applications in various fields, such as cosmology, astrophysics, and biology. It can help in understanding the formation and evolution of structures in the universe, as well as the behavior of complex systems.

How has Nottale's Scale Relativity been received by the scientific community?

The theory of Nottale's Scale Relativity has been met with both praise and criticism from the scientific community. While some see it as a promising approach to understanding the complexity of the universe, others question its compatibility with existing theories and lack of empirical evidence.

What are the implications of Nottale's Scale Relativity for our understanding of the universe?

If Nottale's Scale Relativity is proven to be a valid theory, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe and challenge long-held beliefs about the nature of space, time, and gravity. It could also lead to new discoveries and advancements in various scientific fields.