Law of Conservation of Energy Question

In summary, the mass slides down an inclined plane to reach a spring. It slides for 5.0 m and gains kinetic and gravitational energy before coming to a stop. The spring compresses it by 0.99m.
kylepetten

Homework Statement

A 10.0 kg mass slides from rest down a frictionless inclined plane from a height of 0.500 m. After traveling 5.0 m along the ramp, it moves along a horizontal surface (frictionless again) where it makes contact with a spring. The force constant of the spring is 100.0 N/m. Determine the distance that the spring is compressed before the mass comes momentarily to a halt.

m=10.0 kg
k=100.0 N/m
h=0.500 m

Homework Equations

KE (initial) + PE (initial) = KE (final) + PE (final)

The Attempt at a Solution

{Initial} [1/2(m)(v^2)]+[1/2(k)(x^2)] = {Final} [1/2(m)(v^2)]+[1/2(k)(x^2)]

That's all I could do. I do not know if I have the correct equation here. But, if I do, I do not know how to get the (v^2) in the equation.

Also, another thing that is troubling me is that I do not know what effect the incline has on the question, or if it does at all.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here the inclined plane is used to accelerate the mass.
Find
KE (initial) + PE (initial) = KE (final) + PE (final). That will give you the final KE of the mass when it starts moving on the horizontal surface.
Again using the conservation of energy, you find the compression in the spring.

kylepetten said:
I do not know if I have the correct equation here.
You forgot about gravitational PE.
But, if I do, I do not know how to get the (v^2) in the equation.
Take your initial point to be when the mass is first released (what's its speed then?) and the final point to be when the spring is maximally compressed (what's its speed then?).

It's the height of the mass at the start that matters. That's 0.500m
Work out the PE. This is converted totally to KE as it slides down the frictionless track.
There is no need to find its velocity, though!
All this KE is then converted into the elastic PE in the spring.

the block starts from rest (so it is not moving), then it has no kinetic energy, but it has gravitational potential energy. as it falls down , it gains kinetic energy, but since the total mechanical energy is conserved in this system, the gravitational potential energy starts reducing at the same rate (same as the gain of kinetic energy). Also, it loses gravitational potential energy simply because it is falling down. Then, it gains potential energy again as it gets in contact with the spring

Doc Al said:
You forgot about gravitational PE.

Take your initial point to be when the mass is first released (what's its speed then?) and the final point to be when the spring is maximally compressed (what's its speed then?).

Stonebridge said:
It's the height of the mass at the start that matters. That's 0.500m
Work out the PE. This is converted totally to KE as it slides down the frictionless track.
There is no need to find its velocity, though!
All this KE is then converted into the elastic PE in the spring.

holezch said:
the block starts from rest (so it is not moving), then it has no kinetic energy, but it has gravitational potential energy. as it falls down , it gains kinetic energy, but since the total mechanical energy is conserved in this system, the gravitational potential energy starts reducing at the same rate (same as the gain of kinetic energy). Also, it loses gravitational potential energy simply because it is falling down. Then, it gains potential energy again as it gets in contact with the spring

So, how about this:

[0] + [(10 kg)(9.8)(0.5 m)] = [1/2(10 kg)(0^2)] = [1/2(100 N/m)(x^2)]
0 + 49 = 0 + [50(x^2)]
x= {sqrt[49/50]}
x= 0.99m

Did I do this right?

Thanks for all the replies by the way!

kylepetten said:
Did I do this right?
Yes. Perfect!

Doc Al said:
Yes. Perfect!

Thanks very very much!

What is the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

What are the different forms of energy?

There are many different forms of energy, including thermal (heat), electrical, chemical, nuclear, mechanical, and electromagnetic. These forms of energy can be converted into one another, but the total amount of energy remains the same.

How does the Law of Conservation of Energy apply to everyday life?

The Law of Conservation of Energy applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, when you turn on a light switch, electrical energy is converted into light energy. When you drive a car, chemical energy from the fuel is converted into mechanical energy to move the car. Understanding this law can help us make more efficient use of energy in our daily lives.

What is the role of potential and kinetic energy in the Law of Conservation of Energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. In the Law of Conservation of Energy, potential and kinetic energy can be converted into one another, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

Can the Law of Conservation of Energy be violated?

No, the Law of Conservation of Energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed cases. If it appears to be violated in a certain scenario, it is likely due to incomplete understanding or measurement error.