Law of Ratios? derving a differential Fick Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical derivation from equations 2 and 3 that defies algebraic laws. The paper cited is "Partial Co2 Rebreathing Cardiac Output--Operating Principles of the Nico System" by Jaffe, which presents the equations as a picture. The person asking the question is unsure if the derivation is correct and asks about the existence of a "Law of Ratios." The responder simplifies the equations and shows that the result is mathematically sound, but notes that the denominator cannot be equal.
sadsol
Hello,

I'm trying to make sense how a mathematical derivation (equation 4) from equations 2 and 3. Basically it defies any algebraic law I know. The paper is cited below and the the equations are attached as picture.

Do you think this is a correct derivation?
Is there such a thing as "Law of Ratios"? If so can someone tell me what it is?

Thanks! Paper: Jaffe, M. B. "Partial Co2 Rebreathing Cardiac Output--Operating Principles of the Nico System." J Clin Monit Comput 15 6 (1999): 387-401. Print.

Attachments

• FickEquation.jpg
    FickEquation.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,067
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of the Law of Ratios, but the result is mathematically sound.

I'm going to simplify this by saying that [itex]C=\frac{A_{1}}{B_{1}}=\frac{A_{2}}{B_{2}}[/itex]. Then [itex]CB_{1}=A_{1}[/itex] and [itex]CB_{2}=A_{2}[/itex]. Subtracting the second equation from the first,
[itex]CB_{1}-CB_{2}=C(B_{1}-B_{2})=A_{1}-A_{2}[/itex], which means [itex]C=\frac{A_{1}-A_{2}}{B_{1}-B_{2}}[/itex].

Of course, we must have [itex]B_{1}\neq B_{2}[/itex]...

Related to Law of Ratios? derving a differential Fick Equation

1. What is the Law of Ratios?

The Law of Ratios is a mathematical principle that describes the relationship between two variables in a given system. It states that the ratio of two variables remains constant, regardless of the absolute values of the variables.

2. How is the Law of Ratios related to the differential Fick equation?

The differential Fick equation is a mathematical expression that describes the rate of diffusion in a system. It is derived from the Law of Ratios, as it uses the ratio of concentration gradients to calculate the rate of diffusion.

3. What is the significance of the Law of Ratios in scientific research?

The Law of Ratios is a fundamental principle in mathematics and science. It is commonly used in a variety of fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to describe and predict the behavior of systems.

4. How can the Law of Ratios be applied in real-life situations?

The Law of Ratios can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as predicting the rate of drug diffusion in the body, calculating the speed of chemical reactions, and determining the growth rate of populations.

5. Are there any limitations to the Law of Ratios?

Like any mathematical principle, the Law of Ratios has its limitations. It assumes that the system being studied is in equilibrium and that there are no external factors affecting the variables. In real-life situations, these assumptions may not always hold true, leading to deviations from the predicted ratios.