Help Solve a Mystery: Lawden's "An Introduction to Tensor Calculus

In summary, Lawden is saying that a symmetric quadratic form can always be diagonalized so that the coefficients are 1. This is the same thing as saying all symmetric matrices are similar to the identity--that is, its eigenvalues are all 1. This is important because it shows that at points where the metric tensor is stationary, a coordinate frame can be chosen that is locally Cartesian.
PBRMEASAP
Hi,

Anyone out there have Lawden's book, "An Introduction to Tensor Calculus, Relativity and Cosmology"? Expression 39.13 (on p 109) and the sentence that precedes it have me stumped. My understanding of what he's saying is that a symmetric quadratic form can always be diagonalized so that the coefficients are 1. I was not aware of this. It seems to me that's the same thing as saying all symmetric matrices are similar to the identity--that is, its eigenvalues are all 1. If someone could clear this up for me it would be awesome. By the way, I know this is more of a linear algebra question, but I mentioned it in here because I figured people in this forum might be familiar with the book.

thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I figured out some of that typesetting stuff so I can actually write what Lawden says.

We have the quadratic form

[tex]
d s^2 = g_{ij} d x^i d x^j
[/tex]

where [tex] g_{ij} [/tex] is the (symmetric) metric tensor at point A, [tex]x^i = a^i[/tex]. Define the y-coordinates by the relation

[tex]
x^i = b^i{}_{j} y^j
[/tex],

which is to say

[tex]
d x^i = b^i{}_{j} d y^j
[/tex].

Lawden says, "...it is a well known result from algebra that the quadratic form [tex]g_{ij} d x^i d x^j[/tex] can be reduced to the diagonal form

[tex](d y^1)^2 \ + \ (d y^2)^2 \ + \ ... \ + \ (d y ^N)^2[/tex]

at the point A by proper choice of the [tex]b^i{}_j[/tex] (some of these coefficients may have to be given imaginary values)." This is important because he is showing that at points where the metric tensor is stationary, a coordinate frame can be chosen that is locally Cartesian. At any rate, I'm not familiar with this well known result from algebra. If anyone is, please explain it to me.

thanks!

I really need to start coming up with catchier titles for my posts. I hearby rename this thread "Is spacetime locally flat, and how does this affect consciousness from a positivist point of view, in light of recent work by Popper?". Just kidding, someone answered my question in the algebra forum.

1. What is "An Introduction to Tensor Calculus" by Lawden about?

"An Introduction to Tensor Calculus" by Lawden is a book that explains the fundamentals of tensor calculus, a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and operation of tensors. It covers topics such as tensor notation, tensor algebra, and tensor calculus in multiple dimensions.

2. Who is this book intended for?

This book is intended for students and researchers in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering who are interested in learning about tensor calculus. It assumes a basic knowledge of linear algebra and calculus.

3. How is this book different from other books on tensor calculus?

This book is known for its clear and concise explanations, making it a great resource for beginners. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers understand and apply the concepts taught in the book.

4. Can this book be used for self-study?

Yes, this book can be used for self-study. It is written in a way that is easy to follow and includes exercises to help readers practice and reinforce their understanding of the material.

5. Is this book still relevant today?

Yes, this book is still relevant today as tensor calculus continues to be an important tool in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. The concepts taught in this book are fundamental and can be applied to many real-world problems.