I'm currently reading DF Lawden's book Introduction to Tensor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jbowers9
Messages
85
Reaction score
1
I'm currently reading DF Lawden's book Introduction to Tensor Calculus, Relativity and Cosmology. He coverss the idea of translation of inertial frames in the beginning and by using Minkowski's device for the time coordinate, x4 = ict, shows that inertial frames moving at velocity u = -ictan(alpha) in a Lorentz transformation are offset by -ictan(alpha). Doesn't this imply that there are singularities at certain points, ie tan90? thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


jbowers9 said:
I'm currently reading DF Lawden's book Introduction to Tensor Calculus, Relativity and Cosmology. He coverss the idea of translation of inertial frames in the beginning and by using Minkowski's device for the time coordinate, x4 = ict, shows that inertial frames moving at velocity u = -ictan(alpha) in a Lorentz transformation are offset by -ictan(alpha). Doesn't this imply that there are singularities at certain points, ie tan90? thank you.
alpha is the so called rapidity (e.g. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation" )
The singularities are for v=c
 
Last edited by a moderator: