LC circuit -- Calculate the work done

In summary, the conversation discusses an oscillating circuit with a parallel-plate capacitor and an inductance coil. The problem statement asks for the work done when the capacitor plates are slowly drawn apart to increase the oscillation frequency. Using equations for capacitance and electrostatic force, the speakers determine that the work done is equal to half of the initial energy times the increase in frequency. They also discuss the need for considering the average force and use notational convenience to solve the problem. The final solution is that the work done is equal to the initial energy times the increase in frequency minus one.
RingNebula57
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In an oscillating circuit consisting of of a parallel-plate capacitor and an inductance coil with negligible active resistance the oscillations with energy ##W## are sustained. The capacitor plates were slowly drawn apart to increase the scillation frequency ##\eta##-fold. What work was done in the process?

Homework Equations

##C = \frac{\epsilon_0 \cdot S}{d}##
##C'=\frac{\epsilon_0 \cdot S}{\eta^2 d} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

So ohm's law is written like this: (before the stretching of the capacitor)

##L \cdot \ddot{q} = -\frac{q}{C}##
This implies:
##\omega^2=\frac{1}{LC}##
##q_{(t)}=q_m \cdot sin(\omega t)##

The electrostatic force exerted by one plate on the other is:

## F = E_{(t)} \cdot q_{(t)} ##
## E_{(t)} = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0} = \frac{q_{(t)}}{2\epsilon_0S} ## ##\Bigg\} ## ##F = \frac{q_{(t)}^2}{2\epsilon_0S}=\frac{q_m^2 \cdot sin(\omega t)^2}{2\epsilon_0S}##

Because the streching of the capacitor happened slowly it means that we can consider the average force over one period:

##\bar{F}=\frac{q_m^2}{4\epsilon_0S}##
So , the work done is then:
## \Delta W= \bar{F}\cdot d\cdot (\eta^2-1) = \frac{q_m^2d}{4\epsilon_0S} \cdot (\eta^2-1)##

Now,
##W=\frac{q_m^2}{2C}=\frac{q_m^2d}{2\epsilon_0S}##

From here results that :
##\Delta W= \frac{W}{2} \cdot (\eta^2-1)##

This formula implies that the initial charge ##q_m## is not conserved. Is it ok? It looked odd to me...

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
RingNebula57 said:
##\bar{F}=\frac{q_m^2}{4\epsilon_0S}##
I believe this is correct.

So , the work done is then:
## \Delta W= \bar{F}\cdot d\cdot (\eta^2-1) = \frac{q_m^2d}{4\epsilon_0S} \cdot (\eta^2-1)##
This assumes that ##\bar{F}## remains constant while the plates are separated. But as you found, ##q_m## is not conserved. So, the average force is not constant.

Now,
##W=\frac{q_m^2}{2C}=\frac{q_m^2d}{2\epsilon_0S}##
Yes

For notational convenience, I suggest letting ##x## stand for the distance between the plates. Consider the work done by the average applied force for an infinitesimal increase in separation, ##dx##.

Likes RingNebula57
TSny said:
I believe this is correct.

This assumes that ##\bar{F}## remains constant while the plates are separated. But as you found, ##q_m## is not conserved. So, the average force is not constant.

Yes

For notational convenience, I suggest letting ##x## stand for the distance between the plates. Consider the work done by the average applied force for an infinitesimal increase in separation, ##dx##.
Thank you!

I solved it. Obtaining that :

##\Delta W = W \cdot (\eta-1)##

RingNebula57 said:

Looks good!

RingNebula57 said:
Thank you!

Please help me with the solution...as I am g
etting a logarithmic term while integration of 1/x

Anubhav said:
Please help me with the solution...as I am g
etting a logarithmic term while integration of 1/x
Please start a new thread with your question. This thread here is 5 years old. Thank you.

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electronic circuit consisting of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. It is a resonant circuit, meaning that it can store and release electromagnetic energy at a specific frequency.

2. How do you calculate the work done in an LC circuit?

The work done in an LC circuit can be calculated using the formula W = 1/2 * L * I2, where W is the work done in joules, L is the inductance in henries, and I is the current in amperes.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the work done in an LC circuit?

Calculating the work done in an LC circuit helps us understand the energy stored and released by the circuit. It is also useful in designing and optimizing the circuit for specific applications.

4. How does the work done in an LC circuit affect the circuit's resonance?

The work done in an LC circuit directly affects its resonance frequency. As the work done increases, the resonance frequency also increases. This means that the circuit can store and release more energy at a higher frequency.

5. What are some real-life applications of LC circuits?

LC circuits are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as radio receivers, televisions, and computers. They are also used in wireless charging technology, electric motors, and power inverters.