Clarifying the Leaning Sticks Problem Solution

• Thread starter PhysHobbiest
  • Start date
In summary: Just be careful since you've also been using the letter ##r## for two different distances (##\frac{l\sin{\theta}}{2}## and ##l\sin{\theta}##).Yes, I was getting a bit confused there. Thanks for the heads up!
PhysHobbiest
Homework Statement
The problem along with its solution have been screenshotted and attached
Relevant Equations
T = r x F
I'm getting tan3(θ) = (1/μ) as a solution. Morin's solution seems wrong to me because it seems to me that he's assuming that the entire weight of each stick is providing torque when in reality the component of the gravitational force perpendicular to each stick should be all that is providing torque. Am I missing something or is Morin's solution incorrect?
Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.10.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.10.01 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

PhysHobbiest said:
he's assuming that the entire weight of each stick is providing torque
What makes you think that ?
PhysHobbiest said:
is Morin's solution incorrect?
Don't think so.

Likes etotheipi
PhysHobbiest said:
Morin's solution seems wrong to me because it seems to me that he's assuming that the entire weight of each stick is providing torque when in reality the component of the gravitational force perpendicular to each stick should be all that is providing torque.
Ask yourself what the component of gravity perpendicular to the stick is.

BvU said:
Hello and :welcome: !

What makes you think that ?
Don't think so.

What makes me think that he's using the entire weight of each stick is his equation for normal force. Which is
N = (MlG) (This is the gravitational force supposedly perpendicular to the stick) x (1/2)(sin(θ)) (This being the center of gravity)

PhysHobbiest said:
What makes me think that he's using the entire weight of each stick is his equation for normal force. Which is
N = (MlG) (This is the gravitational force supposedly perpendicular to the stick) x (1/2)(sin(θ)) (This being the center of gravity)

The torque of a force has magnitude ##rF\sin{\theta}##. You interpret this as the component of the force perpendicular to the rod times the distance along the rod to where the force acts, or alternatively (but equivalently) as the force times the perpendicular distance between the line of action of the force and the point where the rod meets the ground.

Just on its own, what would you say is the torque of the weight of the left stick about the point where the stick meets the ground?

I was blind but now I see. I was equating the torque on the stick to the normal force (i.e. ##rF\sin{\theta} = N##)
when I really should have been balancing torques (i.e. ##rF\sin{\theta} = Nsin{\theta}##). Silly mistake but it was driving me crazy. Thank you all for helping me correct my mistake!

PhysHobbiest said:
I was blind but now I see. I was equating the torque on the stick to the normal force (i.e. ##rF\sin{\theta} = N##)
when I really should have been balancing torques (i.e. ##rF\sin{\theta} = Nsin{\theta}##). Silly mistake but it was driving me crazy. Thank you all for helping me correct my mistake!

That's not quite right. The normal force is normal to the rod and ##N\sin{\theta_{N}} = N##. You haven't multiplied it by a lever arm. You are right in that you need to balance torques, but first you must make sure you actually have torques.

Call the total length of the rod ##d##, and take moments about the point where the rod meets the ground. What is the torque of the weight? What is the torque of the normal force?

etotheipi said:
That's not quite right. The normal force is normal to the rod and ##N\sin{\theta_{N}} = N##.

Sorry, I should have been clearer here. sin(θ) here is the length of the rod (I should have written ##lsin{\theta}## although Morin himself omits the ##l##), not for the component of the normal force perpendicular to stick, so really what I was saying is that I should have equated the torque to ##rN\sin{\theta_{N}} = rNsin{(\pi/2)}## with ##r = sin{\theta}##.

Before I was equating a Force to a Torque which was incorrect.

Likes etotheipi
PhysHobbiest said:
Sorry, I should have been clearer here. sin(θ) here is the length of the rod (I should have written ##lsin{\theta}## although Morin himself omits the ##l##), not for the component of the normal force perpendicular to stick, so really what I was saying is that I should have equated the torque to ##rN\sin{\theta_{N}} = rNsin{(\pi/2)}## with ##r = sin{\theta}##.

Ah okay, glad you got it. Just be careful since you've also been using the letter ##r## for two different distances (##\frac{l\sin{\theta}}{2}## and ##l\sin{\theta}##).

1. What is the "Clarifying the Leaning Sticks Problem Solution"?

The "Clarifying the Leaning Sticks Problem Solution" is a scientific method used to accurately determine the height of an object by measuring its shadow and the shadow of a known object at the same time.

2. How does the "Clarifying the Leaning Sticks Problem Solution" work?

The solution involves placing a stick of known height and a stick of unknown height next to each other on a flat surface. The shadows of the sticks are then measured at the same time. By using the ratio of the known height to its shadow, the height of the unknown stick can be calculated.

3. What is the importance of the "Clarifying the Leaning Sticks Problem Solution"?

This solution is important because it provides a simple and accurate method for measuring the height of objects, especially in situations where traditional measuring tools may not be available or practical to use.

4. Can the "Clarifying the Leaning Sticks Problem Solution" be used for any object?

Yes, this solution can be used for any object as long as there is a known object of a known height available to use for comparison.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Clarifying the Leaning Sticks Problem Solution"?

One limitation of this solution is that it relies on the assumption that the ground is flat and level, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution may be affected by factors such as the angle of the sun and the precision of the measurements taken.