Learning AlgebraII, Any Advice?

• Thread starter l2udolph
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a high school student who wants to skip Algebra II and take Pre-Calculus. They have 20 days to learn the material and are seeking help through online tutoring and using resources such as old college books and websites. They have also taken a Trigonometry class but want to make sure they are familiar with all the topics, especially conics. They have been recommended to use Khan Academy for additional help and to find exercises to practice.
l2udolph
Hi. I have 20 days until school starts (I'm going to be a sophomore, in the US). I'm going to learn AlgebraII, and challenge the class to see if I can skip it to Pre-Calculus. How should I go about learning AlgebraII? I don't think this will be too hard for me, if I'm dedicated. I have some materials with me, like, old college books from relatives and things like that. The books I have are, "Practical Calculus For Home Study" By Palmer, "Intermediate Algebra" By Hubbard Robinson, "Schaum's Outlines: Trigonometry (fourth edition)" by Moyer and Ayers, "Algebra And Trigonometry (third edition)" By Gary Rockswold, and "Student's Solutions Manual" which is a solutions book to "Algebra And Trigonometry." So, how should I go about this? I need to learn it, so I can pass the test I'm going to challenge it. Could anyone possibly help me in the next 20 days, and tutor me through emails and what not? It would be really nice. :) The reason I'm going to challenge the class is because I want to be in Pre-Calculus this year, and I'm very determined to do this. I'm sure the next 20 days is enough time to learn it. A course that is (my HS goes by trimesters) 3 trimesters long would be about 90 hours in total, while AlgebraII is only 2 trimesters long. In the next 20 days I have around 350 hours (subtracting sleep and what not). So, please help me. I need to start this fast.

P.S. - I'm fairly new here.. Did I post this in the wrong section? I wasn't sure.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know if your Algebra II class has trigonometry?

EDIT: Are you in high school or college?

BloodyFrozen said:
Do you know if your Algebra II class has trigonometry?

EDIT: Are you in high school or college?

I'm in high-school. No, it doesn't have Trigonometry. My High-school separated AlgebraII and Trigonometry into 2 classes. I've already taken the Trigonometry class, although it's an optional one.

EDIT: I was recommended this tutorial/site by someone. Do you think it is good enough? They said this will fit my requirements. What do you think?
http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/int_algebra/index.htm

Last edited:
l2udolph said:
I'm in high-school. No, it doesn't have Trigonometry. My High-school separated AlgebraII and Trigonometry into 2 classes. I've already taken the Trigonometry class, although it's an optional one.

Isn't trig combined with pre-calc?

Anyways, make sure you know your conics

BloodyFrozen said:
Isn't trig combined with pre-calc?

Anyways, make sure you know your conics

Yea. While I was in Trigonometry my teacher was comparing what we were doing to his pre-calc class. The trig class I took as more of a 'prep class' for the trig that we'd do in pre-calculus. So, what do you think of that tutorial/math-lab link I gave?

The tutorial/mathlab is definitely not enough (in my school district). Here's a word document on a syllabus similar to our class. Additionally, you can check out KhanAcademy on youtube; it has many useful math videos. Just search for the one your looking for.

Here's KhanAcademy's homepage:

http://khanacademy.org

And make sure you find some execises! Many people in our class were having trouble on conics. Make sure to be familiar with all the topics!:smile:

Attachments

• Alg II Syllabus.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 235
BloodyFrozen said:
The tutorial/mathlab is definitely not enough (in my school district). Here's a word document on a syllabus similar to our class. Additionally, you can check out KhanAcademy on youtube; it has many useful math videos. Just search for the one your looking for.

Here's KhanAcademy's homepage:

http://khanacademy.org

And make sure you find some execises! Many people in our class were having trouble on conics. Make sure to be familiar with all the topics!:smile:

Alright, thank you! :) That was much appreciated.

l2udolph said:
Alright, thank you! :) That was much appreciated.

No problem, good luck:tongue:

What is Algebra II and why is it important to learn?

Algebra II is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols. It is important to learn because it helps build a strong foundation for more advanced math courses and is also applicable in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

What are the key topics covered in Algebra II?

The key topics covered in Algebra II include functions, equations and inequalities, polynomials, exponents and logarithms, matrices and determinants, sequences and series, and conic sections.

What are some tips for learning Algebra II?

Some tips for learning Algebra II include practicing regularly, seeking help from teachers or tutors, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, and using online resources for additional practice and explanations.

Why do some students struggle with learning Algebra II?

Some students struggle with learning Algebra II because it requires a solid understanding of basic math concepts, such as arithmetic and algebraic operations, which may not have been fully mastered. Additionally, the abstract nature of the subject can be challenging for some students.

How can I overcome difficulties in learning Algebra II?

To overcome difficulties in learning Algebra II, it is important to identify specific areas of difficulty and seek help from teachers or tutors. Practice regularly, use visual aids and real-life examples to understand concepts, and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification.