Proving Lebesgue Measure on R using Gdelta and Open Sets

• Thread starter a09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of writing a measurable set in R as a difference of a Gdelta set and a set of measure zero. It is suggested to focus on open sets, as they can be decomposed into a countable union of disjoint intervals. The individual eventually solves the problem without needing to decompose it into Gdelta sets.
a09

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://www.album.com.hk/d/1546698-2/Untitled-1.jpg

Homework Equations

Every measurable set in R can be written as a difference of Gdelta set and a set of measure zero.
Every open set in R is just a countable union of disjoint intervals.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I have reduced the problem into only concerning Gdelta sets (because sets of measure zero do not really matter that much), then I have further decomposed it into just a problem concerning only of open sets(if assuming it is true for open sets, I think I can prove it for Gdelta sets). So now I am hopelessly stuck, I have been thinking that every open set is just a countable union of disjoint interval, but I have no clue how to prove it for open sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, I solved it, the solution isn't as complicated as I thought, I do not need to decompose it into Gdelta sets.

What is Lebesgue measure on R?

Lebesgue measure on R is a mathematical concept used to measure the length, area, and volume of sets in real numbers. It is named after French mathematician Henri Lebesgue who developed it in the early 20th century.

How is Lebesgue measure different from other measures?

Lebesgue measure is a more generalized and powerful measure compared to other measures, such as the Riemann integral. It can measure a wider range of sets and is not limited to just intervals. It also has a more precise definition and can handle more complex sets.

What is the importance of Lebesgue measure in mathematics?

Lebesgue measure is an essential tool in many areas of mathematics, including real analysis, measure theory, and functional analysis. It provides a rigorous and efficient way of measuring sets in higher dimensions, making it useful in solving complex problems in various fields of mathematics.

How is Lebesgue measure calculated?

Lebesgue measure is calculated using the Lebesgue integral, which is a generalization of the Riemann integral. It involves dividing a set into smaller intervals, calculating the measure of each interval, and then taking the sum of these measures to find the total measure of the set.

What are some applications of Lebesgue measure?

Lebesgue measure has many practical applications, such as in probability theory, where it is used to calculate the probability of events in continuous spaces. It is also used in physics, economics, and other fields to model and analyze complex systems. In addition, it has applications in image processing and signal analysis, where it is used to measure the size and shape of objects in images and signals.