Length Contraction and special relativity

In summary: So Lmoving= 20m and Lrest= 100 meters and then I just solve for velocity. Thanks for all the help!In summary, your friend's spaceship is travelling at the speed of light and it looks as if it is 100 meters long and 20 meters wide.
natxio

Homework Statement

The dimensions of your friend’s spaceship are 100 meters in length, with a cabin width of 20
meters (i.e., you could approximate the main body of the ship as a cylinder with length 100
meters and diameter 20 meters). However, since your friend’s spaceship is speeding past you
at a relativistic velocity, you observe it to be highly foreshortened, with identical length and
width. At what speed is your friend traveling past you? Express your answer in units of the
speed of light.

Homework Equations

length contraction equation:
Lmoving= Lrest x [ 1- v^2/ c^2] ^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Lmoving= Lrest x [ 1- v^2/ c^2] ^1/2

solve for velocity --> v= c x [ 1- Lmoving^2/ Lrest^2] ^1/2

v= c x [ 1- 100m^2/ 100m^2] ^1/2
v= c x [ 1-1] ^1/2
v= c x [0] ^1/2
v= 0c

I don't know if I did this right, I don't know if I was supposed to include the width somewhere in here but if any of you guys can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you got that he is not really moving at all, so I guess that is not quite right.

Check again the value you have for Lmoving. The clue lies in the sentence:
However, since your friend’s spaceship is speeding past you at a relativistic velocity, you observe it to be highly foreshortened, with identical length and width.

You are looking for the velocity where your friend's ship looks as long as it is wide to you. If it is 20 meters wide, how short would it have to be contracted to lengthwise to fulfill this condition? ( At what speed will Lmoving be equal to the width of the ship.

thank you I understand it now, so Lmoving = 20m and Lrest= 100 meters and then I just solve for velocity. Thanks for all the help!

Are you sure the width is not contracted as well?

1. What is length contraction in special relativity?

Length contraction is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that an object's length will appear shorter to an observer in motion relative to the object. This effect is only noticeable when objects are moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs due to the distortion of space and time at high speeds. As an object approaches the speed of light, its length in the direction of motion will appear to shrink to an outside observer. This is because time appears to slow down for objects in motion, and the distance between two points in space also appears to decrease.

3. Does length contraction only occur in one direction?

No, length contraction occurs in the direction of motion as well as in the perpendicular direction. This means that an object will appear flattened in the direction of motion, but also in the directions perpendicular to the motion.

4. How is length contraction related to time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are two sides of the same coin in special relativity. As an object's length appears to decrease to an outside observer, time appears to slow down for the moving object. This means that the faster an object moves, the more it will appear to be length contracted and time dilated.

5. Is length contraction just an optical illusion?

No, length contraction is not just an optical illusion. It is a fundamental aspect of how space and time behave at high speeds, and has been proven through numerous experiments and observations. It is a real physical effect that must be taken into account when studying objects moving at relativistic speeds.