What is the Method for Finding the Magnitude of a Complex Vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of a complex vector using the formula |a|^2 = a.a*, where * denotes the complex conjugate. The formula is also applicable for finding the magnitude of a complex number. It is important to take the square root at the end to get the final result.
David932

Homework Statement

Let a is a complex vector given by

a = 2π K - i ρ / α^2 ,

where ρ is a two dimensional position vector and K is the corresponding two dimensional vector in the Fourier space.

In order to find magnitude of this vector, i found that it is 4π^2 K^2 + ρ^2 / α^4 .
The logic I used to get my solution is
(magnitude of a)^2 = a.a*, where * denotes the complex conjugate.

Please can someone guide me to the correct step by step solution.Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How can it be you have found the magnitude without going through the steps ?
What's the expression for the magnitude of a vector ?
What's the expression for the magnitude of a complex number ?
Are you aware of the PF rules and the guidelines that in fact disallow us to help you if you don't make an attempt at solution ?

Hi BvU i edited my question and included the formula which I used for getting the answer.

And the formula did its work, so what is your question ?

BvU said:
And the formula did its work, so what is your question ?
My question is whether the formula I used and the answer I got is correct or my logic has a conceptual mistake?

I think you are doing fine. For a vector you have the inner product and for a complex number you have the ##|{\bf a}|^2= {\bf aa^*}##.
(so don't forget to take the square root at the end ... :smile:)

Likes David932
BvU said:
I think you are doing fine. For a vector you have the inner product and for a complex number you have the ##|{\bf a}|^2= {\bf aa^*}##.
(so don't forget to take the square root at the end ... :smile:)
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I should take the square root at the end.

Related to What is the Method for Finding the Magnitude of a Complex Vector?

What is the Length of a Complex Vector?

The length of a complex vector is a measure of its magnitude or size. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which takes into account both the real and imaginary components of the vector.

How is the Length of a Complex Vector Calculated?

The length of a complex vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary components of the vector. In other words, it is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the real and imaginary parts of the vector.

What is the Importance of the Length of a Complex Vector?

The length of a complex vector is important in various areas of mathematics and physics. It is used to calculate the magnitude of a vector quantity, such as force or velocity, and to determine the direction of the vector in a complex plane.

How is the Length of a Complex Vector Represented?

The length of a complex vector is represented using the absolute value or modulus notation. This is denoted by enclosing the vector in vertical bars, for example, |z|. The result is always a real number, as the length cannot be negative.

Can the Length of a Complex Vector be Negative?

No, the length of a complex vector cannot be negative. As mentioned before, it is represented using the absolute value or modulus notation, which always results in a positive value. This is because the length is a measure of magnitude, not direction, and therefore, cannot be negative.