Length of a massive elastic string hung by it's end

In summary, the homework statement is that given a homogenous string of mass M, length L and elasticity k, find the length L' when it's hung by one end in a constant gravity field. Hooke's law is used to find the string constant for an infinitesimal part of the string. The mass has nothing to do with it.
Heirot

Homework Statement

Given a homogenous string of mass M, length L and elasticity k, find the length L' when it's hung by one end in a constant gravity field.

Homework Equations

Hooke's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to apply Hooke's law in this situation. Please help.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Heirot! :smile:

It will be in equilibrium when its total potential energy (gravitational plus spring) is a minimum. :wink:

(can you see why?)

Yes, I can see that :) I just don't know what to minimize mathematically because the streching won't be uniform.

Heirot said:
… the streching won't be uniform.

Yes it will …

consider a small section of spring from rest-length x to x + dx …

the external forces on it are T(x + dx) and -T(x) and Mgdx/L, so … ? :smile:

So dT = - Mg/L dx -> T(x) = Mg/L (L-x) if x is measured form the top. But this we already knew. How does this help in calculating the streaching?

Now use Hooke's law

But spring constant k is a global property of the string, not local. Recall that if we cut the string in half, the new constant is 2k, not k. So, what would be the string constant for an infinitesimal part of the string?

Do it for the (L-x) part of the spring

Well, all below x, we can replace by an external force Mg (L-x)/L. If the upper part of the string were massless, we would have Mg(L-x)/L= k L/x s, where s is the displacement. I can't figure out how to include the mass of the string.

I'm confused … where does Hooke's law (which is only concerned with internal tension) come into that? …

and what does the mass have to do with it? :confused:

Can you please show me your solution so that I can precisely tell you where I think the problem lies?

After having thought about it for a week, still not being able to solve it, I was thinking about your approach. Would you say that L' = L + Mg/k?

Last edited:
Yup! … gravitational force = elastic force (so net force = 0) … Mg = (L' - L)k. :smile:

It just occurred to me now, if we divide the unstreched length L into equal parts of length dx then the spring constant for that part is k'=kL/dx. On the other hand, a change in the length dl(x) of dx at some point x is dl(x) = F(x)/k'. Integration gives L' = L + Mg/2k as is pretty much expected.

Thanks for your help, tiny-tim :)

1. What factors affect the length of a massive elastic string hung by its end?

The length of a massive elastic string hung by its end is primarily affected by its weight, the force of gravity, the material of the string, and the distance between the end of the string and the point of attachment.

2. How is the length of a massive elastic string calculated?

The length of a massive elastic string can be calculated using the formula L = (mg)/(kx), where L is the length, m is the mass of the string, g is the force of gravity, k is the string's spring constant, and x is the distance between the end of the string and the point of attachment.

3. Can the length of a massive elastic string be changed?

Yes, the length of a massive elastic string can be changed by altering the distance between the end of the string and the point of attachment or by changing the mass, force of gravity, or material of the string.

4. How does the length of a massive elastic string affect its potential energy?

The length of a massive elastic string directly affects its potential energy. As the length of the string increases, so does its potential energy. This is because a longer string has more potential for stretching and storing energy compared to a shorter string.

5. What is the significance of the length of a massive elastic string in experiments?

The length of a massive elastic string is a crucial factor in many experiments as it affects the behavior and properties of the string. For instance, in studying pendulums, the length of the string can affect the period of the pendulum's oscillations. It is also important in experiments involving elastic collisions, where the length of the string can impact the transfer of energy between objects.