1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of Spring

1. May 24, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Length of Spring

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A load of weight 400 N is suspended from a spring and two cords that are attached to blocks of weights 3W and W as shown. Knowing that the constant of the spring is 800 N/m, determine (a) the value of W, (b) the unstretched length of the spring.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]F_{s} = -k x[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already worked through part (a), getting 62.8 N for W and in the process I got 281.712 for the [tex]F_{s}[/tex] of the system above.

Now from the picture above, I can figure that the length AB is 1110 mm using Pythagoreans. Whether that is relevant or not to figuring (b) out, I am not sure. I'm thinking that I need to find what the [tex]F_{s}[/tex] would be if there were no forces acting on the spring.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2008 #2

Gold Member

I would look at the relevant equation and attempt to determine if it can be expanded to include initial and final values.
  4. May 24, 2008 #3
    You can determine angles using SOH CAH TOA. From there you can use components to work out your answer more precisely.
  5. May 25, 2008 #4
    double post...
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  6. May 25, 2008 #5
    Thanks, I got it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?