Find Contraction of $$M_{ad}M^{be}M^{cf} f^d_{bc}f^a_{ef}$$

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for software to find a specific contraction involving a 4x4 metric and structure constants of different algebras. The speaker mentions using Mathematica, but also notes that it may be easier to hard code the solution using tables. They also mention the possibility of making the code more generally applicable in the future.
JorisL
Hi,

I was wondering if there exists some software to find the following contraction in an easy way
$$M_{ad}M^{be}M^{cf} f^d_{bc}f^a_{ef}$$

Here the 4x4 metric M has a block diagonal form
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
e^\phi & 0\\
0 & e^{-\phi/3}N
\end{pmatrix}$$

With ##N## a symmetric 3x3 matrix of determinant 1.
The ##f^a_{bc}## are structure constants of some algebra (I have to evaluate this for 13 distinct algebras).
A lot of them are zero, most of the others are 1.

I keep missing terms (due to antisymmetry ##f^a_{bc} = -f^a_{cb}##) when doing any but the most trivial examples by hand.

Thanks,

Joris

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.

Luckily there are some easy algebras that I can use to test the code.

Well I looked at the tensor capabilities but so far it proved easier to hard code the stuff using tables. (More important, a lot faster to implement than to learn and use this new part of Mathematica)

I added a PDF showing how I did it. When I find the time I might make it more generally applicable. (more than 4 dimensions, less constraints on allowed algebras etc)

Attachments

• curvPF.pdf
    74.3 KB · Views: 218

1. What is the contraction of the given expression?

The contraction of $$M_{ad}M^{be}M^{cf} f^d_{bc}f^a_{ef}$$ is the sum of all possible combinations of matching upper and lower indices. In this case, the contraction would be $$M_{ad}M^{be}M^{cf} f^d_{bc}f^a_{ef} = M_{ae}M^{be}M^{cf} f^f_{bc}f^a_{ef} + M_{ad}M^{be}M^{cf} f^d_{bc}f^a_{ef} + M_{ad}M^{be}M^{cf} f^d_{bc}f^a_{ef}$$

2. How do I find the contraction of the given expression?

To find the contraction of the given expression, you will need to first identify all possible matching upper and lower indices. Then, you will need to multiply the corresponding terms and sum them all together. In this case, the contraction would be $$M_{ae}M^{be}M^{cf} f^f_{bc}f^a_{ef} + M_{ad}M^{be}M^{cf} f^d_{bc}f^a_{ef} + M_{ad}M^{be}M^{cf} f^d_{bc}f^a_{ef}$$

3. What is the purpose of finding the contraction of this expression?

The contraction of this expression is useful in solving equations in mathematics and physics. It allows us to simplify complex expressions and make calculations more manageable.

4. Can the contraction of this expression be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the contraction of this expression can be used in various real-world applications such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is a fundamental concept in mathematical and scientific calculations.

5. Are there any rules or properties to keep in mind when finding the contraction of an expression?

Yes, there are certain rules and properties that can be used to simplify the process of finding the contraction of an expression. For example, the Einstein summation convention can be used to omit the summation symbol and write the contraction in a more compact form.