Where is the image formed when a lens is placed next to an aquarium?

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where there is a small object in a cuboid aquarium filled with water, and a plano-convex lens with a focal length is placed on the wall of the aquarium. The object is located on the optical axis of the lens. The conversation then goes on to discuss the refractive index of water and the lens, and the position and characteristics of the image formed by the lens. It also considers the same scenario with the lens placed on the inside of the wall. The solution involves determining the function for the ray after refraction and solving for the image distance and enlargement. The solution for part a) involves considering an imaginary situation where the wall does not exist and calculating the angle of the ray in the
franceboy

Homework Statement

There is a small shiny object in a big aquarium, which is formed like a cuboid and filled with water. The plan site of a plano-convex lens with a focal length f is put on the wall of the aquarium from outside. The object is located on the optical axis of the lens.
The refraction index of water is 1.33, the index of the lens is 1.50. The wall of the aquarium and the less are very thin. Consider only rays which are located nearly to the optical axis.
a) Determine the position of the image of the object as function of the position of the object. Name in each case, whether it is a virtual or a real, an upright or a turned, an enlarged or shrinked image.
b) Calculate the image distance and the enlargemet if the object distance has a value of 2.5*f.
c)Do the sam as in b) BUT now the lens is put on the wall from inside (again with plan side).

Homework Equations

n1*sin(a)=n2*sin(b)

The Attempt at a Solution

F[/B]irst of all, we imagine that th wall does not exist.
My idea was to consider an object as point (-xo , yo). Now we have to look at the ray which is parallel to the axis: It will refracted at the crossing between air and lens and it will cross the optical lens at the point (f , 0). We can describe this ray after refraction with the function f(x)=yo-yo/f*x.
Moreover we have to consider the ray which crosses the lens in the point (0 , 0).
I failed at determining the function g(x) which is the ray after being refracted. The intersection point of f(x) and g(x) should be the image, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are on the right track to solving this.

For the ray going through the point (0,0), you can calculate the angle of that ray (1) in the water, and then (2) in the glass. And from the angle in the glass, you should be able to (3) calculate the angle of the ray in air.

Using sin a=tan a, I got xi= -f*xo/(f*nwater-xo). With this equation I could solve the tasks a) and b). However I was not able to solve c) because in a) we can say that the parallel ray crosses the axis in (f,0) but now this can not be said. I think the function g(x) has the same equation because the perpendicular is always the optical axis.
How can I solve c)?

franceboy said:
However I was not able to solve c) because in a) we can say that the parallel ray crosses the axis in (f,0) but now this can not be said. I think the function g(x) has the same equation because the perpendicular is always the optical axis.
How can I solve c)?
Are you able to figure out the new focal length of the lens when it is in the water? That is, how does placing the lens in water affect the focal length compared to when it is in air?

If your class has covered this aspect of lenses, that could be a good place to start.

If you class has not covered this, see if your textbook does.

p.s. You're correct about g(x). A thin lens does not appreciably affect the path of a ray going through its center.

My textbook covers only the lensmaker equation. With this equation I can calculate R1. But it does not tell us how to deal with the case of a lens between water and air.
Is my solution for a) right?

Is there anyone who can help me?

What is the purpose of placing a lens next to an aquarium?

The purpose of placing a lens next to an aquarium is to magnify the view of the aquatic life inside the tank. This allows for a closer and more detailed look at the fish, plants, and other organisms living in the aquarium.

What type of lens should be used for this purpose?

The best type of lens to use would be a convex lens, also known as a magnifying lens. This type of lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light to refract and produce a magnified image.

Where should the lens be positioned in relation to the aquarium?

The lens should be placed on the same side of the aquarium as the viewer, with the flat side facing the aquarium. This will allow for a clear and undistorted view of the aquatic life inside.

Can any type of aquarium be used with a lens?

Yes, any type of aquarium can be used with a lens as long as it is clear and allows for light to pass through. This includes glass, acrylic, or plastic tanks.

What are the benefits of using a lens next to an aquarium?

Using a lens next to an aquarium can provide a closer and more detailed view of the aquatic life inside. It can also be a fun and educational activity for children to learn about the different organisms living in the tank.