Let's Practice Good Sense in Online Forums: A Comment

• Thread starter -Job-
  • Start date
In summary, a member of the community is upset about their thread being locked and questions the effectiveness of locking it. They suggest reaching out to the member and having a calm discussion instead. The conversation also brings up the importance of treating others with respect and not taking online forums too seriously. The moderator responds by stating they do not discuss other member's situations and directs the person to read the guidelines for an explanation of their actions.
-Job-
Science Advisor
I have to comment on this. You have a guy that is angry about his threads being locked (and I'm sure you can empathize with this, we're not animals) and what do you do? You lock his thread. Now are you expecting to win the person over and have them settle down to become productive part of the community by doing this? If you could at least message the person who is obviously angry and have a down to Earth settling of things, instead of doing something which will obviously drive them away?
People here have feelings, no one enjoys being treated in this way, and then of course people like me have to risk the same treatment and try to bring some sense into the community or watch as this thing happens which to me is not an option and you'll be happy to know that i'd do the same for you if you were in such a situation.
I think there's more important things than being right. Perhaps we are taking this online forum too seriously, after all we'll all leave and have to deal with each other ouside, so it's a good idea to practice good sense in here.

Physics news on Phys.org
-Job- said:
I have to comment on this. You have a guy that is angry about his threads being locked (and I'm sure you can empathize with this, we're not animals) and what do you do? You lock his thread. Now are you expecting to win the person over and have them settle down to become productive part of the community by doing this? If you could at least message the person who is obviously angry and have a down to Earth settling of things, instead of doing something which will obviously drive them away?
You are making inaccurate assumptions. We don't discuss other member's situations here.

Are you referring to the thread posted by dgoodpasture2005? If you are, read the guidelines you've agreed to and you'll understand how and why we do the things we do. :smile: As evo has stated this is a personal issue with a member, if you'd like to discuss this further you can PM a staff member.

Last edited:

Related to Let's Practice Good Sense in Online Forums: A Comment

1. What is the importance of practicing good sense in online forums?

Practicing good sense in online forums is important because it promotes respectful and productive communication among forum members. It helps create a positive and welcoming environment for everyone to express their opinions and ideas without fear of judgement or harassment.

2. How can one practice good sense in online forums?

One can practice good sense in online forums by following basic etiquette such as using appropriate language, avoiding personal attacks, and staying on topic. It is also important to fact check information before posting and to be open to different viewpoints.

3. Why is it important to fact check information before posting in online forums?

Facts and misinformation spread quickly in online forums, and it is important to verify information before posting to avoid spreading false information. This helps maintain the credibility of the forum and ensures that accurate information is being shared.

4. How can one handle disagreements or conflicts in online forums?

When faced with a disagreement or conflict in an online forum, it is important to remain respectful and avoid personal attacks. One can calmly state their perspective and try to understand the other person's viewpoint. If the conflict cannot be resolved, it is best to disengage and not continue the discussion.

5. What are the consequences of not practicing good sense in online forums?

Not practicing good sense in online forums can lead to a toxic and hostile environment. It can also result in the spread of misinformation and the silencing of diverse opinions. It can also lead to the loss of credibility and trust within the forum community.