The Levi-Civita Symbol and its Applications in Vector Operations

In summary, the conversation is about the Levi-Civita symbol and its use in vector operations. The symbol can be used to represent the cross product in an orthonormal coordinate system. The conversation also discusses the summation convention and provides some examples of how it is used. There is also mention of some common tricks and equations involving the Levi-Civita symbol.
rudy
TL;DR Summary
Trying to check that: [itex]e_i \times e_j = ε_{ijk}e_k[/itex]

I appear to have an inconsistency (or an error)
Hello all,

I was just introduced the Levi-Civita symbol and its utility in vector operations. The textbook I am following claims that, for basis vectors [itex]e_1, e_2, e_3[/itex] in an orthonormal coordinate system, the symbol can be used to represent the cross product as follows:

[tex]e_i \times e_j = ε_{ijk}e_k[/tex]

So, as a check (and because I have too much time on my hands) I plugged in numbers for [itex]i, j, k[/itex] starting with [1 1 1], [1 1 2] ...

[1 1 1]: [itex]e_1 \times e_1 = ε_{111}e_1[/itex]; correct because [itex]ε_{111} = 0[/itex]
[1 1 2]: [itex]e_1 \times e_1 = ε_{112}e_2[/itex]; correct because [itex]ε_{112} = 0[/itex]
[1 1 3]: [itex]e_1 \times e_1 = ε_{113}e_3[/itex]; correct because [itex]ε_{113} = 0[/itex]

however:

[1 2 1]: [itex]e_1 \times e_2 = ε_{121}e_1[/itex]; incorrect because [itex]ε_{121} = 0[/itex] and [itex]e_1 \times e_2 = e_3[/itex]

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I suppose everyone knows that the cross product must be orthogonal to both vectors, and that this will void any combination of [itex]i, j, k[/itex] where k is equal to either i or j. However that would mean that this relationship is not valid for all cases of [itex]i, j, k[/itex]. In other words there would need to be a subscript saying that "i and j can repeat but k must be unique" or something like that. If anyone can help explain this I'd appreciate it.

-DR

Physics news on Phys.org
rudy said:
Summary:: Trying to check that: [itex]e_i \times e_j = ε_{ijk}e_k[/itex]
This assumes the "summation convention" where sums are suppressed. It means:
$$e_i \times e_j = \sum_{k = 1}^{3} ε_{ijk}e_k$$

Likes rudy, troglodyte and etotheipi
Brilliant! Thanks for clearing that up

rudy said:
Brilliant! Thanks for clearing that up
PS it's the double ##k## index that tells you there's a sum involved.

I see, thanks. So my terms in brackets should really read [1 1 k]; [1 2 k]; etc

rudy said:
I see, thanks. So my terms in brackets should really read [1 1 k]; [1 2 k]; etc
It's actually only ##9## equations, not ##27##. What it really, really means is:
$$e_i \times e_j = \sum_{k = 1}^{3} ε_{ijk}e_k \ \ (i, j = 1, 2, 3)$$

Appreciate your patience! Still practicing this summation convention notation.

Likes etotheipi
rudy said:
Appreciate your patience! Still practicing this summation convention notation.

I feel your pain, I've been trying to grok this recently also. This page has some good examples.

Likes rudy
Glad I'm not the only one struggling lol. Thanks for the reference.

A lot of the questions I've been doing only require a few different tricks. The most common ones I've come across are $$[\vec{u} \times \vec{v}]_i = \epsilon_{ijk} u_j v_k$$ $$\vec u \times \vec v = \epsilon_{ijk} u_j v_k \vec e_i$$ $$\nabla \times \vec v = \epsilon_{ijk} \vec e_i \nabla_j v_k$$ and then some Delta function ones like $$\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmk} = \delta_{il}\delta_{jm} - \delta_{im}\delta_{jl}$$ $$\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{ljk} = 2\delta_{il}$$ $$\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{ijk} = 6$$And finally some that that are much more easily remembered, like ##\vec u \cdot \vec v = u_i v_i##.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol for basis vectors?

The Levi-Civita symbol for basis vectors is a mathematical notation that represents the orientation of a coordinate system. It is denoted by the symbol ε and is used to describe the direction of vectors in a three-dimensional space.

2. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used in vector calculus?

The Levi-Civita symbol is used in vector calculus to simplify cross product and determinant calculations. It is also used to express vector operations in a coordinate-free manner.

3. What is the significance of the Levi-Civita symbol in physics?

The Levi-Civita symbol is significant in physics because it is used to describe the behavior of physical quantities in three-dimensional space. It is particularly useful in describing the motion of objects in a magnetic field.

4. Can the Levi-Civita symbol be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol can be extended to higher dimensions, but it becomes more complicated as the number of dimensions increases. In four dimensions, it is represented by a 4-dimensional array, and in n dimensions, it is represented by an n-dimensional array.

5. How is the Levi-Civita symbol related to the Kronecker delta?

The Levi-Civita symbol and the Kronecker delta are related through the Einstein summation convention. The Kronecker delta can be expressed in terms of the Levi-Civita symbol as δij = εijkεklm, where i, j, k, l, and m are indices. This relationship is useful in simplifying calculations involving the two symbols.