Levitation Possible? How Electric Charge Balances Gravity

• Thread starter skepticwulf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levitation
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using electric charge to counteract gravity and potentially levitate a person. It is mentioned that a man would need a charge of 5.5C to counteract his weight, but this amount of charge would also result in dangerous lightning bolts. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a gadget or suit to hold the charge, but it is ultimately deemed impossible due to the breakdown voltage of air. The conversation concludes by mentioning the need to consider materials, distances, and voltages when dealing with large amounts of charge.
skepticwulf
I was solving a static electricity/electric field problem and I came across with one saying Earth has an electric field of roughly 150 N/C at the surface. The book also states that it's negative, direction is toward the center of Earth's core.
So from the equation of F=qE one can find easily the necessary charge needed to counter effect the gravity:
mg=qE

so for a 187 pond man the charge must be something like 5.5 C. I assume that means if "somehow" I could charge my body 5.5C negative, that would balance my weight and I could levitate.
Is that correct? Is something missing with this picture?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. If you put 5.5C on your body, you would start discharging lightning bolts. The only thing levitating would be your ashes.

Ok maybe not by producing with my own body but within a gadget or something, some sort of costume like Iron Man has.
By the way and electric eel can produce about 100V without "levitating his ashes" so it's not that far-fetched idea.

skepticwulf said:
By the way and electric eel can produce about 100V without "levitating his ashes" so it's not that far-fetched idea.
Volts? Volts aren't relevant here. What is relevant is the charge.

5.5C would be the charge of a relatively small lightning bolt, but a lightning bolt nonetheless.

skepticwulf said:
Ok maybe not by producing with my own body but within a gadget or something, some sort of costume like Iron Man has.

100V for the eel but 1010V (shorthand of a vast amount) for the man to be charged with all those Coulombs. The two situations are not comparable.

OK, I'm not sure if I understood correctly , you mean to say if a person or his suit would have a 5.5C of electric charge on it, it would create a lightning bolt , so it's impossible to control it?
Is this due to air? electric charge that big can not be hold on a surface because en electric arc would form on air surround it and eventually jump around just like a natural lightning bolt would do?
How about space ? would that work on space?

The spark depends upon the breakdown voltage of the air or other insulator. There are formulas for varying air pressures - Paschen's Law: http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/paschen.htm

If you look carefully it involves the materials, the distances, and the voltages as well as pressure, temperature, and humidity.

If you were to discharge 5 coulombs over a period of 1 millisecond the current running through your finger/foot/nose ... the body part where the discharge occurs ... will be 5,000 amps. The voltage from your height to the ground is the value 100 volts per meter; so assuming your belt buckle, the power is 5,000 amps x 100 volts = 50,000 watts for 1 millisecond.

As was said earlier, this will be very bad for the affected body parts!

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_electricity

Forget the sparks. Just consider the coulomb force needed to keep 5.5C of charge within the space occupied by a man. Two charges of 2.5C each, separated by a metre (i.e. two halves of your man) would experience a repulsive force of around 1012N. Your experimenter would fly to pieces long before he managed to get a fraction of that amount of charge on him.

Related to Levitation Possible? How Electric Charge Balances Gravity

1. Is it possible for objects to levitate using electric charge to balance gravity?

Yes, it is theoretically possible for objects to levitate using electric charge to balance gravity. This concept is known as electrogravitics and has been studied and theorized about by scientists for decades.

2. How does electric charge balance gravity to create levitation?

Electric charge creates an electrical force that can counteract the force of gravity. When an object is given a positive or negative charge, it can interact with the electric field around it to create an upward or downward force, respectively. This force can balance out the downward pull of gravity, resulting in levitation.

3. Are there any real-life examples of levitation using electric charge?

There have been some demonstrations of electrogravitic levitation, but they have not been widely replicated or proven to be reliable. Some researchers have also proposed using electrogravitics for propulsion in spacecraft, but this technology is still in the early stages of development.

4. What are the potential applications of levitation using electric charge?

If electrogravitics can be successfully harnessed, it could have many potential applications. It could be used for propulsion in spacecraft, as mentioned earlier, or for creating more efficient forms of transportation such as levitating trains. It could also have applications in manufacturing, allowing for the manipulation and movement of objects without physical contact.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to achieving levitation through electric charge?

One of the main limitations to achieving levitation through electric charge is the amount of charge and electric field strength needed to counteract the force of gravity. This can be difficult to achieve and control, making it a challenge to create stable and reliable levitation. Additionally, the effects of electric fields on living organisms, such as humans, need to be carefully considered and tested before this technology can be applied in real-world settings.