Verify Your Lewis Dot Diagrams: Get Expert Feedback and Improve

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with their Lewis dot diagrams and another person suggesting to try Applets on chemistry, which can help identify any mistakes. They also provide a link to a website with information on Lewis dot structures and mention that the Applets are practice tools. The person asking for help mentions that they are just starting and thanks the other person for their assistance.
linuxux
Hi, I am not too sure about my lewis dot diagrams, can someone check them and let me know if anything is wrong with them, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try Applets on chemistry? It even tells you where you are wrong.

edit: here's the address -http://www.bpreid.com/samples.html

Last edited:
shramana said:
Why don't you try Applets on chemistry? It even tells you where you are wrong.

whats that? is it a program? if so its not well know, nothing on Google related. can you post a link.

Last edited:
Yes it's a good link. I assumed that you know the theory of lewis dot structures, VSEPr and hybridisation. So the applets are merely prctice tools.
Anyways the SF6 structure is supposed to be octahedral.

no i just started it, but thanks for the help.

1. What is a Lewis Dot Diagram?

A Lewis Dot Diagram is a visual representation of the valence electrons in an atom or molecule, using dots to represent the electrons and lines to represent the bonds between atoms.

2. How do you draw a Lewis Dot Diagram?

To draw a Lewis Dot Diagram, you first need to determine the number of valence electrons in the atom or molecule. Then, you place the electrons around the atomic symbol, with no more than two electrons per side and no more than eight electrons total. If there are multiple atoms, you can connect them with lines to represent the bonds.

3. What is the purpose of a Lewis Dot Diagram?

The purpose of a Lewis Dot Diagram is to show the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule, which can help us understand its chemical properties and predict how it will interact with other atoms or molecules.

4. How do I know if my Lewis Dot Diagram is correct?

You can check your Lewis Dot Diagram by counting the total number of valence electrons and making sure it matches the number of electrons in the atoms or molecule. Additionally, you can compare your diagram to a reference chart or use a bonding model to see if the bonds make sense.

5. Can Lewis Dot Diagrams be used for all elements?

No, Lewis Dot Diagrams are typically only used for main group elements, which are elements in groups 1, 2, and 13-18 on the periodic table. Transition metals and inner transition metals have more complex electron configurations and do not follow the same rules for Lewis Dot Diagrams.