Calculating Lift-Drag Ratio of a Wing Under Flight Conditions

In summary, the lift-drag ratio of the wing with an angle of attack of 3 degrees is 28.804. To calculate this, the lift coefficient (Cl) was determined using the lift gradient equation, where the given lift gradient value of 0.1179 was multiplied by the angle of attack of 3 degrees. The total drag was then calculated as the sum of profile drag (given as 0.0062) and induced drag, where the equation for induced drag was used. This resulted in a total drag value of 0.0122795. Finally, the lift-drag ratio was calculated by dividing the lift coefficient by the total drag.
marv

Homework Statement

"The lift gradient of a wing under actual flight conditions is 0.1179 per degree. Calculate the lift-drag ratio of the wing with an angle of attak of 3 degrees?"

Given is:
altitude=5000 m
velocity=225 m/s
wing area S=149 m2
wing span b=34.5 m
span efficiency factor e1=0.82
Cd (profile drag coefficient) at 3 degrees=0.0062.
ρ∞=0.736 kg/m3
p∞=5.41*10^4 Pa, T∞=255.7 K
cp=1008 J/kg*K

Homework Equations

I don't exactly know which equation to use, that's the whole point of my question. You might can use a=dCl/dalpha = a0/(1+(a0/pi*A*e1)). Note that everyting in the equation is in radians. Maybe you can calculate Cl with this equation, and as you know Cd (given) you can calculate the L/D ratio.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried several things like the lift gradient equation a=dCl/dalpha=a0/(1+(a0/pi*A*e1), is I can calculate the aspect ratio A (S/b^2). A=35.4^/149≈0.231. I also know the span efficiency factor e1, as this is given (0.82). The fact is that I don't know if this equation is right.
The other thing I know, is that the equation for lift drag ratio is L/D = Cl/Cd. Am I right to say that we know Cd? This is 0.0062. Then we only have to calculate the lift coefficient, but I don't know how to do that without the lift given or the mass of the aircraft. (as the equation is L=Cl*(0.5*ρ*V^2)*S.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need both Cl and Cd to get the ratio. Look at the question again - you are given the lift gradient. What exactly is this 0.1179 that increases for every degree? Can you thus figure out the corresponding value at 3 degrees? For Cd, you need the total drag, which is the sum of profile drag and induced drag. 0.0062 is only the profile drag. If you know the equation for induced drag, the information provided is enough to answer the question.

i cannot figure out the value at 3 degree ?
is it simply 3*0.1179 or we have to look at some graph
please help me !

Cl should be 3 * 0.1179. Cd normally refers to the sum of profile and induced drag, but the problem uses it as Cd (coefficient of profile drag). Assuming that the problem statement is only defining profile drag, then as posted, you'll need a formula to determine induced drag.

total drag = profile +induced drag
=: 0.0062 + CL^2/pi*A*e1
=0.0062+ (3*0.1179)^2/p1*7.988*0.82
=0.0062+0.0060795
=0.0122795
then Cl/Cd = 0.3537/0.0122795
=28.804
this is what i got ...but answer is not correct
Is there any mistake ?
thanks in advance!

1. What is the lift-drag ratio of a wing under flight conditions?

The lift-drag ratio of a wing under flight conditions is a measure of the efficiency of the wing in generating lift (the force that keeps an aircraft in the air) compared to the drag (the force that opposes the motion of the aircraft). It is a dimensionless quantity, calculated by dividing the lift by the drag.

2. How is the lift-drag ratio of a wing calculated?

The lift-drag ratio of a wing can be calculated by dividing the lift coefficient (the ratio of lift force to the dynamic pressure of the air) by the drag coefficient (the ratio of drag force to the dynamic pressure of the air).

3. What factors affect the lift-drag ratio of a wing?

The lift-drag ratio of a wing is affected by many factors, including the shape and size of the wing, the airfoil design, the angle of attack, the speed and density of the air, and the presence of any external disturbances such as turbulence or gusts.

4. Why is the lift-drag ratio important in aircraft design?

The lift-drag ratio is an important factor in aircraft design because it directly affects the performance and efficiency of the aircraft. A higher lift-drag ratio means that the aircraft can fly at a higher speed or with a lower power setting, resulting in better fuel efficiency and longer flight range.

5. How can the lift-drag ratio of a wing be improved?

The lift-drag ratio of a wing can be improved through various methods such as optimizing the wing shape and airfoil design, reducing the weight of the aircraft, and using advanced materials and technologies. Proper maintenance and cleaning of the wing surface can also help to maintain a high lift-drag ratio.