Calculating Resultant of Forces on 6.2KG Box in Lift

In summary, a box with a mass of 6.2KG is on the floor of an upward accelerating lift. A horizontal force of 16N is acting on the box, but there is no horizontal movement. To find the resultant of the forces, we need to consider the forces in the vertical direction. The normal force and weight are not equal to zero in this case, and the horizontal force is the friction. In order to find the total resultant, an attempt must be shown.
DeanBH
A box of mass 6.2KG stands on the floor of a lift which is moving with an upward acceleration of 0.2ms^-2. A horizontal force of magnitude 16N acts on the box. There is no horizontal movement of the box.

Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant of the forces, normal and frictional, exerted by the floor on the box.

i had a url but it won't let me say them without 15 posts so i can't show you what I've done already.

Physics news on Phys.org
# If there is no motion in a direction, then the sum of the forces in that direction is zero.
# Here there is no motion in the horizontal direction. The other for in the horizontal direction is the friction. From this info you can find the friction.
# The force which makes the box go up is the normal force. Normal force both accelerates the box and hold its weight. For z direction you should write the sum of normal force and the weight, but this sum is this time not equal to zero.
# I hope these will help you.

DeanBH, I think you still need to show some type of attempt.

What is the formula for calculating the resultant of forces on a 6.2KG box in a lift?

The formula for calculating the resultant of forces on a 6.2KG box in a lift is F = ma, where F is the resultant force, m is the mass of the box, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s^2).

What are the different types of forces acting on a 6.2KG box in a lift?

The different types of forces acting on a 6.2KG box in a lift are the weight of the box (mg), the normal force exerted by the lift (N), and any external forces (such as friction or air resistance).

How do you find the weight of a 6.2KG box?

The weight of a 6.2KG box can be found by multiplying the mass (6.2KG) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s^2), giving a weight of approximately 60.702N.

What is the normal force exerted on a 6.2KG box in a lift?

The normal force exerted on a 6.2KG box in a lift is equal to the weight of the box (approximately 60.702N) plus any additional external forces acting on the box.

How do you calculate the resultant force on a 6.2KG box in a lift?

The resultant force on a 6.2KG box in a lift can be calculated by adding all the forces acting on the box, taking into account their direction and magnitude. The resultant force is equal to the net force acting on the box, and can be found using the formula F = ma.