Lifting Baby Safely: Calculating Tension in Backbone

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of tension in a mother's backbone when lifting her 16.7 kg baby. The tension can be calculated using the equation [t*W(upper body) + b*W(baby)]/r*sin theta = T, where t is the moment arm of the upper body, b is the moment arm of the baby, r is the moment arm of the back muscles, and theta is the angle of the back muscles to the horizontal spine. It was also mentioned that keeping the spine upright when lifting is important due to the significant load placed on the back muscles and spine.
bec2008
Question:
A mother leans horizontally over the crib to lift her 16.7 kg baby. The moment arm of the baby about the hip joint is b = 0.53 m. Her upper body has a mass of 58.0 kg and a moment arm of t = 0.450 m. The back muscles are equivalent to a single muscle with an angle theta = 11.5° to the horizontal spine giving a moment arm of r = 0.090 m. Calculate the tension in her backbone when she lifts her child. For your own education convert this load into pound weight to appreciate the magnitude of the load on the back muscles and spine. This explains why you should keep the spine upright when lifting.

Attempted Solution:
I chose my system as the upper torso. Then, since it is in static equilibrium, I was able to set the sum of the forces equal to zero. This is the equation I came up with:

Sum Forces = -t*W(upper body) - b*W(baby) + r*T*sin theta = 0

Since they are equal to zero, I changed the equation around:

t*W(upper body) + b*W(baby) = r*T*sin theta

I then solved for T, giving me the following equation:

[t*W(upper body) + b*W(baby)]/r*sin theta = T

I keep coming up with the answer 19089 Newtons, but it is not correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (There is a picture, but I'm not sure how to post it. I could use help on that, too!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Then you pass on the tension to your knee joint.

But I think I'm looking for the tension in the backbone...

1. How do I know if I am lifting my baby safely?

To ensure you are lifting your baby safely, make sure to keep your back straight and bend your knees. This will help distribute the weight evenly and avoid strain on your back. Also, avoid twisting your body while lifting.

2. What is the recommended weight limit for lifting a baby?

The recommended weight limit for lifting a baby is no more than 25 pounds. However, this may vary for each individual, so it is important to listen to your body and avoid lifting more than you can handle.

3. How can I calculate the tension in my backbone while lifting my baby?

The tension in your backbone can be calculated by using the following formula: Tension = Force x Distance. The force will be the weight of your baby and the distance will be the distance between your hands and your backbone while lifting.

4. Is it okay to lift my baby with one arm?

It is not recommended to lift your baby with just one arm, as this can put too much strain on one side of your body. It is best to use both arms to evenly distribute the weight and avoid injury.

5. How often should I take breaks while lifting my baby?

It is important to take breaks while lifting your baby to avoid strain on your back. It is recommended to take a break every 15 minutes or so, depending on how long you are lifting. Listen to your body and take breaks as needed.