Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light going through glass to make a rainbow

1. Apr 4, 2005 #1
    Someone in a physics class here proposed, a white light beam going through a meter worth of glass and because different frequences refract at different angles, a 1 cm rainbow would come out the other end. The only way I see this to be possible is for the beam to be infinetely thin. I mean REALLY THIN.

(He even says a 1mm beam would be thin enough to product a rainbow affect)

I think, however, even a beam of one micrometer the light would overlay back into white light because the vast number of points where the light strikes the glass.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2
    No one know? :(
  4. Apr 4, 2005 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The width of the rainbow would depend on the chromatic dispersion of the glass more than anything.

5. Apr 4, 2005 #4
    What is this chromatic dispersion?
  6. Apr 4, 2005 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chromatic dispersion is where the index of refraction of the material depends on the wave length of the light, i.e. it is not a constant. Most materials index of refration depends on wavelength, so you will see a rainbow effect.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?