Solve Light Polarization: Angles of Transmission Axis

In summary, the problem involves a polarized light source passing through two sheets of polarizing material. The first sheet allows only 66% of the light to pass through, while the second sheet blocks all light. Using Malus law, it can be determined that the transmission axis of the second sheet is at a 90 degree angle with the vertical, while the first sheet is at a 30 degree angle with respect to the vertical.
Dart82

Homework Statement

Light that is polarized along the vertical direction is incident on a sheet of polarizing material. Only 66% of the intensity of the light passes through the sheet and strikes a second sheet of polarizing material. No light passes through the second sheet. What angle does the transmission axis of the second sheet make with the vertical?
[URL=http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lightintensityds5.png][PLAIN]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2071/lightintensityds5.th.png[/URL][/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

If light intensity = S, then the light passing through a polarizer = (1/2)S
Malus Law: Averge intensity of light leaving the analyzer = (.5*S)cos^2(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

At 90 degress from the vertical, the polarizer would block all light from passing through. however the problem states that 66% of the light passes through the polarizer. I think that an angle that is 33% of 90 degrees would allow 66% of the light to pass through the polarizer. if i am correct in thinking that a polarizer must be at 90 degrees to block light, then the analyzer must be at a 90 with the polarizer which is at a 30 degree angle with respect to the vertical. 30 degrees + 90 degrees = 120 degrees from the vertical.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that the second sheet is at 90 degrees to the first. However your angle for the first sheet is wrong. You need to use Malus to find this angle.
However you have not quoted Malus law correctly.

Transmitted intensity = [tex]s*cos^2(/the)[/tex]

(There should not be a half in front of this.)

We do not know initial intensity but we know it is cut down by 66% after the first sheet. Therefore the transmitted intensity = 0.66*s.

Put this into the Malus law and solve for theta.

the more i thought about it the more confused i seemed to get. thanks..i finally got it

Related to Solve Light Polarization: Angles of Transmission Axis

1. What is light polarization?

Light polarization is a physical phenomenon in which light waves vibrate in a specific direction, instead of randomly in all directions. This occurs when light passes through a polarizing filter or reflects off a surface at a certain angle.

2. What are the angles of transmission axis in light polarization?

The angles of transmission axis refer to the specific angles at which light waves are allowed to pass through a polarizing filter. These angles are typically 0 degrees and 90 degrees, but can vary depending on the type of filter used.

3. How is light polarization used in everyday life?

Light polarization has numerous practical applications in everyday life. Some examples include sunglasses to reduce glare, polarizing filters on cameras to reduce reflections, and LCD screens on electronic devices to control the amount of light passing through.

4. What is the relationship between light polarization and the direction of light waves?

The direction of light waves and the direction of light polarization are directly related. The polarization direction of light waves is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This means that light waves vibrating in a horizontal direction will have a vertical polarization direction, and vice versa.

5. How does light polarization impact the color of light?

Light polarization does not directly impact the color of light. However, it can affect how we perceive color by reducing glare and reflections. This is why polarized sunglasses are often used to enhance color contrast and reduce eye strain in bright environments.