• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Light Ray Path

• Thread starter Air
  • Start date
Air

Homework Statement

The diagrams below illustrate the formation of a rainbow. Figure 1 shows the general arrangement and Figure 2 shows the path of a ray through a raindrop with the centre of the raindrop is labelled O.

Figure 1:
Raindrop1.jpg

Figure 2:
Raindrop2.jpg

a.)
Where the ray enters the raindrop in Figure 2, mark the angle of incidence i and the angle of refraction, r.

b.)
Figure 2 is drawn to scale. By taking suitable measurements, show that the refractive index of water is about 1.3.

Homework Equations

[itex]\mu = \frac{\sin i}{\sin r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)
Raindrop2Attempt.jpg

^ Have I labelled it correct?

b.)
I measured the angle that I have labelled above and got [itex]i = 25^\circ[/itex] and [itex]r = 35^\circ[/itex] and this gives [itex]\mu = 0.74[/itex]. This is incorrect. The correct answer is [itex]i = 53, \ r = 39, \ \implies \mu = 1.27[/itex]. Where have I gone wrong here?

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The normal should be perpendicular to the water's surface.

Air
So, is it like this?

Raindrop2Attempt2.jpg

Air
Or, is it like this? :confused:

Raindrop2Attempt3.jpg

You just seem to be drawing random lines lol...

The normal line on a spherical surface at some point P is always the line that goes from P through the center of the circle.

In other words; if you draw a straight line through the center of a circle, then at the points where it intersects the circle the angle between the line and the circle (at that point) is exactly 90 degrees, or perpendicular.

Air
You just seem to be drawing random lines lol...

The normal line on a spherical surface at some point P is always the line that goes from P through the center of the circle.

In other words; if you draw a straight line through the center of a circle, then at the points where it intersects the circle the angle between the line and the circle (at that point) is exactly 90 degrees, or perpendicular.
Oooh, I understand now. I guess it is this:

Raindrop2Attempt4.jpg

Am I correct?

Last edited:
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Yes, that looks good.