Light Refraction Homework: Comparing Depths of Water-Filled & Empty Sinks

In summary, the discussion is about two side-by-side sinks, one filled with water and one empty. In the first question, it is asked if the sink with water appears to be deeper, shallower, or the same depth as the empty sink. In the second question, it is asked to choose the best explanation from the given options. The correct answer is option c, which states that water bends light, making an object appear closer to the surface. This is why the water-filled sink appears shallower. This phenomenon is explained in more detail in various sources such as textbooks and online articles.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

A kitchen has twin side-by-side sinks. One sink is filled with water, the other is empty.

1) Does the sink with water appear to be deeper, shallower, or the same depth as the empty sink?
2) Choose the best explanation from among the following:
a) The sink with water appears deeper because you have to look through the water to see the bottom.
b) The sinks are identical, and therefore have the same depth. This doesn't change by putting water in one of them.
c) Water bends the light, making an object under the water appear to be closer to the surface. Thus the water-filled sink appears shallower.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking part 1 is shallower and part 2 is "c". I'm going off nothing more than a hunch. if i am correct, can someone explain why. and if i am wrong would somebody please walk me through the reasoning? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Most textbooks treat this and there are many explanations on the web. See for example

http://www.physics.louisville.edu/public/courses/phys111/davis/notes/lo_appdepth.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is light refraction?

Light refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different materials, such as air, water, or glass. This is due to the change in speed of light as it moves from one medium to another.

2. How does the depth of water affect refraction?

The depth of water affects refraction because the greater the depth, the more the light rays are bent as they pass through the water. This is due to the increasing density of water at greater depths.

3. What is the significance of comparing depths of water-filled and empty sinks?

Comparing depths of water-filled and empty sinks allows us to observe the difference in light refraction between air and water. This can help us better understand the concept of refraction and its effects on objects seen through water.

4. How is light refraction measured in this experiment?

In this experiment, light refraction is measured by placing a straight object, such as a pencil, in the water-filled sink and measuring the apparent shift in its position when viewed from above. The larger the apparent shift, the greater the refraction.

5. What other factors can affect light refraction?

Other factors that can affect light refraction include the angle at which light enters the medium, the composition of the medium, and the temperature of the medium. Additionally, the shape and size of the object can also impact refraction.