Exploring the Concept: Why is Light Slower in Glass?

In summary, light travels slower in glass due to the interaction with atoms, which causes the light to produce more waves and slow down its original speed. When light travels through a medium, it loses energy and slows down, but it regains that energy when it enters a vacuum. This process does not break the theory of relativity. For more information, refer to the provided Physics Forum threads.
#Kylle
Light Slower In Glass ??

so light is slower in glass, but why

i know its something about that when a wave of light hits atoms the move around and produces more waves of light and then the super position of them then slows the original light somehow, but i don't understand why and how

and then is light slows down when it's traveling in a medium and its traveling at C when it come out of the medium and into vacuum, then the wave or foton somehow lost energy when it came in, but how does it regain that energy and if it was slowed down to under C and then accelerated to C aigen dosent that break realativity
i mean a foton or light wave have energy and e^2=m^ 2c ^4+p^2*c^2 så vil den også være påviket af realativitets theorien

i know its a stupid question but i just don't understand
and surry for my bad english

Physics news on Phys.org
See also this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511177

from the Frequently Asked Physics Questions section of our General Physics forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of tiny particles called photons, which travel in waves at incredibly high speeds.

Why does light slow down in glass?

Light slows down in glass due to the interaction between the photons and the atoms in the glass. When light enters a material, it causes the atoms to vibrate, which in turn slows down the speed of the photons.

How is the speed of light in glass different from the speed of light in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, light travels at its maximum speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. In a material such as glass, the speed of light is reduced to an average of 200,000,000 meters per second, depending on the type of glass.

Does the speed of light in glass vary?

Yes, the speed of light in glass can vary depending on the properties of the glass, such as its density and refractive index. The speed of light can also vary depending on the wavelength or color of the light being transmitted through the glass.

Why is the speed of light in glass important?

The speed of light in glass is important for many reasons, including its impact on the design and function of optical devices such as lenses and prisms. Understanding the behavior of light in different materials also helps us to better understand the fundamental principles of physics and the nature of light itself.