1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light waves and particles

1. Apr 23, 2013 #1

adjacent

Gold Member

Why do light behaves as both waves and particles?Do it behave like both at the same time or one at a time?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please read the FAQ Subforum, and in particular, this FAQ entry.

Zz.

4. Apr 23, 2013 #3
    can we extend this question a little further (yes I did read your link)..

What are some examples of photons acting like waves? The dbl slit seams like an obvious answer but if we look one particle at a time it never is a wave - it doesn't hit the screen in parts - just quanta. Why don't we say the chance of finding light somewhere is a wave but light is a particle?

5. Apr 23, 2013 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is neither a wave nor a particle. It can have wave-like and particle-like behavior, but that's all you can say.

The typical wave-like properties are diffraction, interference, etc... i.e. look at all the properties of things we consider as waves, and light has the same characteristics.

Zz.

6. Apr 23, 2013 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The best way to look at it, that I've ever heard, is that light, and all EM radiation, is not purely a wave or a particle, and it is not both. It is something completely different. It is a quantum object that does NOT behave according to our everyday experiences.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook