Destructive Interference of Light Waves in Bubble Film (165 nm)

In summary, the problem is determining which light waves will destructively interfere due to the thickness of a bubble film with a thickness of 165 nm and an index of refraction of n=1.3. This can be calculated using the formula for destructive interference, where the difference in wavelengths is equal to a multiple of pi divided by the thickness and index of refraction. The wavelengths that satisfy this condition will result in destructive interference.
stickplot
Ok so I've been thinking this problem over and over and I understand the problem and its concept but I just don't know where to start and how to do this, someone please guide me through this

Light waves of which wavelength will destructively interfere due to the thickness of the bubble film? The bubble film thickness is 165 nm, with an index of refraction of n = 1.3.

It also contains this picture just showing the different light waves

a= 430 nm
b= 650 nm
c= 860 nm
d= 285 nm

Attachments

• light.gif
    light.gif
    9 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Destructive interference occurs when the phase difference between the two waves is 180 degrees i.e. [tex]\pi[/tex]

That is, if the two wavelengths are [tex]\lambda_1\;\;\;,\;\;\; \lambda_2[/tex], then the condition for destructive interference is:

[tex]\left|\frac{2\pi}{\lambda_1} nd - \frac{2\pi}{\lambda_2}nd\right|=(2k+1)\pi [/tex]

Where d is the size of the soap film, and n is the refractive index. k is a positive integer.
so from here we have:

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{\lambda_1}-\frac{1}{\lambda_2}\right|=\frac{2k+1}{2nd}[/tex]

See for which wavelengths this is satisfied, and you are done...

o ok thank you very much i understand it now

1. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space as a type of electromagnetic radiation, meaning it consists of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate at right angles to each other. These fields create waves that propagate through space, allowing light to travel from its source to our eyes.

2. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This means that light can travel the equivalent of around 7.5 times around the Earth's equator in just one second!

3. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in several ways, including absorption, reflection, and refraction. When light is absorbed, it is converted into another form of energy, such as heat. When it is reflected, it bounces off the surface of the material. Refraction occurs when light travels through a material, causing it to change direction.

4. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible electromagnetic radiation, including light. It is divided into different regions based on the wavelength or frequency of the radiation. The visible light spectrum, which is the portion of the spectrum that we can see, ranges from about 400 nanometers (violet) to 700 nanometers (red).

5. How do we see different colors of light?

Our eyes contain cells called cones that are sensitive to different wavelengths of light. There are three types of cones, each responding to red, green, or blue light. When these cones are stimulated by different amounts of light, they send signals to our brain, which interprets them as different colors.