1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightyears and the surface area of a planet.

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1
    A light year is the unit of distance that light, with a speed of 2.99792e8 m/s, travels in one year. What is the surface area of a planet whose radius is 1300 km? Answer in units of lightyears^2.

I am wondering if my method is correct.

SA of a sphere is 4[pi]R^2. With R = 1300, the surface area is 6.76e6[pi] km^2. Since they want this number in terms of light years, I need to first, well, convert the ratio into years. With dimension analysis (not the internet), I found that there was 31536000 seconds in one year. Setting up a proportion, that's about 9.45e15 meters in one year, or 9.45e12 km in one year. I squared that number (this is the part I am most unsure about) and then divided 6.76e6[pi] by about 8.94e25 km^2, to get 2.38e-19. But I don't think that's right, because the dimensions actually cancel, then.

>_<

Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should divide 6.76e6[pi] km^2 by 8.94e25 km^2/lighyears^2. The units will be okay.

4. Aug 30, 2007 #3
    Thank you!

I forgot about km^2 being overlightyears^2.

:D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?