Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Like' Function

1. May 29, 2012 #1

phion

Gold Member

I'm not sure how adding Facebook-esque type functionality attached to every forum post might be received, but I think that a lot of people might appreciate the nonverbal qualifications and encouragement of those kinds of notifications. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the forums phion.

We've had this suggestions many times before but have decided not to go with it. The biggest problem is that liking a post is a purely subjective act and does nothing to ensure the veracity of the statement. On a forum where objective evidence is paramount this wouldn't fit well at all.

You might be interested to read one of our previous discussions on the topic
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=560842

4. May 29, 2012 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We've discussed this before and decided against it as people "liking" something might be confused with it being accurate. This is why we developed our "Science Advisor" and "Homework Helper" recognitions for people that consistently make high quality posts and have a positive, helpful attitude.

Please feel free to tell a member if you like their posts, a bit of thanks is always appreciated.

Edit: Ryan beat me to it.

5. May 29, 2012 #4

phion

Gold Member

Now that you mention that, I agree wholeheartedly with your rationale. Thank you!

6. May 29, 2012 #5

phion

Gold Member

On second thought, why not restrict the function to off-topic sections?

7. May 29, 2012 #6
    We don't have the capability at the moment

8. May 29, 2012 #7

phion

Gold Member

Oh, I see. Anyway, I've always admired your forum and all the custom bells and whistles! It takes me some time to catch up to these things. :tongue:

9. May 29, 2012 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To offer some evidentiary support to the wisdom expressed here, I belong to some other scientific forums which have the "like" functionality. I have noticed that the things of mine that are most liked are the ones many less sophisticated people can appreciate rather than ones that are most authoritative. I.e. some things I have posted on which I am a world's authority are liked only by 3 or 4 experts who can understand it, while some elementary remarks I thought everyone already knew have been enormously popular. Thus while it is kind of fun, it is essentially anti intellectual in nature.

10. May 29, 2012 #9

phion

Gold Member

I appreciate your feedback mathwonk, it's always a pleasure to read your posts!

11. May 29, 2012 #10

phion

Gold Member

+1, maybe? :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook