Limit and partial derivatives proof

In summary, the problem asks to prove that if all partial derivatives up to order n are zero at a point \vec{x} and f(x) = 0, then the limit of f(x+h)/|h|^n as h approaches 0 is also equal to 0. The solution involves using the definition of partial derivatives and the gradient to show that the general case is easily proved from the first case.
cezarion

Homework Statement

Prove that if all partial derivatives up to order [tex]n[/tex] are zero at [tex]\vec{x}[/tex] and [tex]f(x) = 0[/tex] then [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{f(x + h)}{|h|^n} = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{f(x + h) - f(x)}{|h|} = 0[/tex]
[tex]f(x) = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if I should be doing this by induction. The first case is trivial. For the general case I am unable to move beyond either the limit [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{0}{|h|^{k}}[/tex]. I am also not sure how to formulate the equation for the k-th partial derivative. Is it permissible to use the same [tex]h[/tex] for both a given derivative and the next derivative? Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you certain that the first case it "trivial"? Knowing that the partial derivatives are tells you that [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(\vec{x}+ h\vec{e_i})- f(\vec{x})}{h} = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(\vec{x}+h\vec{e_i})}{h}= 0[/tex] where h is a real number and [itex]\vec{e_i}[/itex] is the unit vector in the ith coordinate direction. What you want to prove, [tex]\lim_{\vec{h}\rightarrow \vec{0}}\frac{f(\vec{x}+ \vec{h})}{|\vec{h}|^n}= 0[/tex] requires that h be a general vector going to the 0 vector. (It is, of course, very easy to prove one from the other. What is the derivative in direction [itex]\vec{h}[/itex] in terms of the gradient or partial derivatives?)

Thank you for the reply. This was actually proved in our textbook, so I am just citing the result in the proof for this problem, leaving just the general case that needs to be proved.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a particular value. It is denoted by the symbol lim and can be used to determine the value of a function at a specific point or to analyze the behavior of a function near that point.

2. How is a limit used to prove the existence of a partial derivative?

A limit is used to prove the existence of a partial derivative by evaluating the function at two different points and taking the difference quotient, which is then used to calculate the limit as the distance between the two points approaches zero. If the limit exists, then the function has a partial derivative at that point.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided derivative and a two-sided derivative?

A one-sided derivative is calculated by taking the limit of a function as the input approaches a particular value from only one direction (either from the left or the right). A two-sided derivative is calculated by taking the limit from both directions, and if the two limits are equal, then the function has a derivative at that point.

4. How is the limit and partial derivatives proof used in real-world applications?

The limit and partial derivatives proof is used in many real-world applications, particularly in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to analyze the rate of change of a function, such as the velocity of an object, the rate of chemical reactions, or the marginal cost of production.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving limits and partial derivatives?

One common mistake to avoid when proving limits and partial derivatives is assuming that the limit exists without actually calculating it. Another mistake is using the wrong formula or not taking into account the direction of approach when calculating one-sided derivatives. It is also important to clearly define the function and the points being evaluated to avoid any confusion.