How can the limit of a function be calculated using the standard formula?

• Thread starter BayernBlues
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to properly show the solution to a problem involving finding the derivative of a function. The solution involves using the standard formula for finding the derivative and confirming the assumption made by comparing it with the given data. The final conclusion is that a=2 and f(x)=x^3.
BayernBlues

Homework Statement

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/8161/64625334ex7.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(f(a)+h)-f(a)
------------
h

f(a)=x^3 and f(a)=8
f(a)=2

I'm pretty sure that the answer of f(a)=2 is right but is there a better way to show it and I'm also unsure if I answered it fully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
f(a) is not 2. The limit actually refers to the derivaive of the function at the point 2. Therefore, a=2.

Okay; a=2

How do I show this though because if there's a test, the teacher isn't going to give me marks because I didn't show my work.

I would write:
f(a+h) = (2 + h)^3, hence a+h=2+h, hence a=2. Therefore f(x)=x^3. Assume it is correct and use the other part of the equation to confirm the assumption.

f(a)=8. We use previously found formula -> f(a)=a^3=8. We solve for a.
a=2 what holds according to the data provided.

i guess it is a matter of comparing with the standard formula:
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\; \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

so all I think you need to do is the following:
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\; \frac{(2+h)^3-8}{h} =
\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\; \frac{(2+h)^3-2^3}{h}
= \left.\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\; \frac{(x+h)^3-x^3}{h}\right|_{\text{at}\; x=2}
[/tex]
then you can identify what f(x) and x=a are.

What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It represents the behavior of the function or sequence near a specific point.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can either evaluate the function at the specific point or use algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, or simplifying to manipulate the function and determine its behavior as it approaches the given point.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the limit definition of the derivative, which involves finding the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the input approaches zero. You can also use rules and formulas for finding derivatives of common functions such as polynomials, exponential, and trigonometric functions.

Why are limits and derivatives important in calculus?

Limits and derivatives are fundamental concepts in calculus that are used to study the behavior of functions. They are essential for finding maximum and minimum values, determining rates of change, and solving optimization problems. They are also crucial for understanding more advanced concepts in calculus such as integration and differential equations.