Limit of a Complex Function

In summary: For instance you just need to make sure that \delta^2+2|z_0|\delta < \epsilon which you can do by choosing\delta < \min(1, \epsilon/(1+2|z_0|)) since then \delta^2 < \epsilon/2 and 2|z_0|\delta < \epsilon/2.
conana

Homework Statement

Use epsilon-delta proof to show that [tex]\lim_{z\to z_0}(z^2+c)=z_0^2+c[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\forall\epsilon>0 \exists\delta>0 \forall z (|z-z_0|<\delta\Rightarrow|f(z)-\omega_0|<\epsilon)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So [tex]f(z)=z^2+c[/tex] and [tex]\omega_0=z_0^2+c[/tex]. In order to write my proof I first need to find delta in terms of epsilon.

Let [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]. Then

[tex]\begin{align*}|f(z)-\omega_0|<\epsilon &\Rightarrow|(z^2+c)-(z_0^2+c)|<\epsilon \\

&\Rightarrow|z^2-z_0^2|<\epsilon\\

&\Rightarrow|(z+z_0)(z-z_0)|<\epsilon\\

&\Rightarrow|z+z_0||z-z_0|<\epsilon\\

&\Rightarrow|z-z_0|<\dfrac{\epsilon}{|z+z_0|}\end{align*}[/tex]

And from here I'm kind of stumped. I need to get that z out of the right hand side so that i can choose delta in terms of epsilon only. I know that with functions of a real variable you can restrict the value of [tex]|x-x_0|<1[/tex] or something like that so you can put an upper and lower bound on delta, but I am not sure exactly how to employ this technique since pulling z's out of absolute value sign is a little different that pulling out x's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
conana said:
I know that with functions of a real variable you can restrict the value of [tex]|x-x_0|<1[/tex] or something like that so you can put an upper and lower bound on delta, but I am not sure exactly how to employ this technique since pulling z's out of absolute value sign is a little different that pulling out x's.

This technique still works perfectly fine with complex functions and doesn't depend on pulling out variables of the absolute value sign. You just make sure to choose [itex]\delta < 1[/itex] so if you want say [itex]\delta<\epsilon/2[/itex] (not the right value in this problem), then you just require [itex]\delta < \min(\epsilon/2,1)[/itex] such that [itex]\delta<\epsilon/2[/itex] and [itex]\delta<1[/itex]. Of course if you want an explicit value you could just let [itex]\delta=\min(\epsilon/2,1)/2[/itex].

Anyway the thing to note is that we would really like an expression in terms of |z-z_0| so we use the triangle inequality:
[tex]\begin{align*}
|z+z_0||z-z_0| &= |z-z_0 + 2z_0||z-z_0| \\
&\leq (|z-z_0| + 2|z_0|)|z-z_0| \\
&< \delta^2 + 2|z_0|\delta
\end{align*}[/tex]
If you choose your delta small enough this should work fine.

1. What is the definition of the limit of a complex function?

The limit of a complex function is a value that the function approaches as the input approaches a given point. In other words, it is the value that the function "approaches" or "tends to" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific point. This point is usually denoted as x = a, where a is a real number.

2. How is the limit of a complex function calculated?

The limit of a complex function can be calculated by evaluating the function at values closer and closer to the given point. This can be done using algebraic techniques, such as factoring, or by graphing the function and visually determining the limit. In some cases, more advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's rule may be needed.

3. What does it mean if the limit of a complex function does not exist?

If the limit of a complex function does not exist, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as the input approaches the given point. This could be due to the function having a jump or discontinuity at that point, or the function may oscillate or have multiple possible values at that point.

4. Can the limit of a complex function be infinity?

Yes, the limit of a complex function can be infinity. This can occur if the function approaches infinity as the input approaches the given point, or if the function has a vertical asymptote at that point.

5. How is the limit of a complex function used in real-world applications?

The concept of limit of a complex function is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. For example, in physics, the limit of a complex function can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object at a specific point in time. In economics, it can be used to determine the maximum profit for a business. In computer science, it is used in the analysis of algorithms to determine their time complexity.